• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black velvet jacket - cool or not?

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
English tailored style. Pretty sharp.

Stylish or old-fashioned? There's one for a great price and thoughts are welcome.

I've looked through past threads but nothing up to date.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool in the right context.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I've worn my navy velvet jacket 3 times and it's never failed to generate compliments (and one or two walk-by fondlings). I vote cool.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
(and one or two walk-by fondlings).

That is a wonderful selling point.
laugh.gif

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could be very cool, especially if you know how to own it and aren't too old.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
That is a wonderful selling point.
laugh.gif

I think so, too. I wear a velvet jacket often when I go dancing. I aim to give my dance partners the total experience.
devil.gif

benjaminarnold

Reaction score
a well-fitted velvet jacket in a dark color will always look good. just stay away from wearing a dozen necklaces and true religions with it and you're safe

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suits You Sir!

Stylish or old-fashioned? There's one for a great price and thoughts are welcome.

It's black, right? So it has all the problems of black clothing (SF.net, passim) It's a smoking jacket, and not very versatile. Get one in another color, preferably thrift, as they were very popular four years ago. The advice about expecting to be touched in on is on-point - women love them.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Agreed.

How is the jacket designed and with what detailing?

I was thinking of doing a bottle green silk velvet jacket to wear with jeans. I never get around to it though.

This is not the first time you've talked of silk velvet. From where would you source it?

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
could be very cool, especially if you know how to own it and aren't too old.
You got the first part right....shoulda stopped there. Age has nothing to with the ability to pull off a look. I'm 56 yrs old and much of what I wear would probably be deemed as "not age appropriate" by many people. But then most guys my age either don't understand or are out-n-out afraid to wear such "wild" things.... It's like looking at a guy who's wearing a pink shirt that his wife picked out, but he thinks it looks "girly"... His discomfort is apparent from across the room (I thought of this example because earlier this evening I happened to have purchased a drop-dead beautiful, pink shirt with a tone-on-tone floral pattern). For what its worth, I've been wearing velvet jackets of black, navy, and dark brown for years...and I think I do a pretty fair job of "owning" them.
wink.gif
Dennis

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suits You Sir!

I think that velvet jackets can look great when they're well matched and dressed up.

Otherwise, you're in danger of falling into this category...
anthony_party_velvet1.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a guy today in one, who really looked sharp.

I believe he wore it with slacks, tieless.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. The black velvet jacket and jeans look is a bit too ubiquitous. Definitely go for another color like dark blue, green, or brown.

I find it to be one of those rather particular pieces that has become extremely popular, but perhaps never should have. Not to say that we should pay attention to what has or hasn't gone out of fashion, but perhaps now that they have been overplayed (even ending up on the shelves of Target), velvet jackets should be returned to wearers whom they truly suit well. There is something inherently eccentric and foppish about a velvet jacket - if you are that way, then wear it. It doesn't seem appropriate for a regular office guy out at the bar, probably talking about "hot chics" and his resume. It's just not democratic attire.

If you are one of those people that always worries about seeming to "try too hard" then velvet jackets might not be appropriate. They are flamboyant and a bit odd. If you are too, then wear one.

On the age thing, I almost think they are more appropriate for older people. Young guys in "smoking jackets" doesn't seem to make all that much sense. The bookish and witty uncle who smokes Cuban cigars and has aristocratic pretensions? Sure. I think what I'm struggling to say is that your ideas should match your style to some extent at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads