• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie wedding

Classic

Reaction score
My neice's wedding later this month is a "Black Tie" affair. She has requested that her dad and uncles wear similar shirts and neck ties. The only issue I have with this is that the shirts are to have laydown collars and only regular neck ties, no bow or ascots. Meanwhile the groom is wearing a nice wing collar shirt and real bow tie.
I have told her that IMO, the laydown collar and necktie will make the tuxedo too similar to a black suit. But while she agrees, her preference is clear.
It is her day and I will go along. However, is it just me, or do others think that the laydown collar and regular necktie just do not go with a tuxedo?

Classic

BjornH

Reaction score
I always think that wing collars look tacky and a good regular collar is much better with a tuxedo. However, I would rather not be seen wearing a tie with a tuxedo. A much more palatable idea would be to have you wear a less formal bowtie and the groom a proper, black one.

But, it's always fun to wear a tuxedo so I guess I would go along with out much protest.

B

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like the look of the laydown collar to the wing collar, which I find a little ostentatious. And I do prefer a bowtie to a straight-tie with a tuxedo, but I think that the straight tie look is not a bad one, and probably here to stay. In any case, be a sport and go along with the bride's idea and like it. It's her day after all. I mean, I am going to have to wear an ascot with a tuxedo (does an ascot look anything near right except with formal morning dress?)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the counters working?
The counters are apparently working for every forum except the clothing forum.  How odd . . .

wby

Reaction score
I too think that a regular turndown collar is more appropriate for a black tie event. I would suggest saving the wing collar for white tie, but it is generally accepted with black tie as well. I am not a big fan of the long tie with a tux look, but it is seen so much on the Hollywood elite that it hardly looks out of the ordinary anymore. Plus, as you already know, the bride gets her way, no matter the "traditional rules" of dress. By the way, when you say the wedding is a "black tie affair," do you mean all of the guests will be wearing tuxedos? I am in my late twenties, so I have been to a number of weddings over the last few years, many of them very nice, but none so formal that the guests wore tuxedos. I think a formal wedding is a great idea. I am glad some people still have them.

Classic

Reaction score
Perhaps I should clarify that I am not opposed to the laydown collar, but rather with the regular tie combination. IMO this makes the tuxedo resemble a black suit and takes away from the occasion. Still it is her day, and so I will go along.
WBY, yes the male (and perhaps some female)guests will be wearing tuxedos. It is a formal affair.

Classic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads