• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Questions (pics included)

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Question 1: Am I showing too much cuff in the pic below? I've never worn french cuffs before, so I'm not sure. If it is too much, would you say this is a minor error, or an egregious error which should be corrected by a tailor immediately. I'll be wearing this soon as a groomsman at a wedding.

wjacket.jpg

Question 2: Are the suspenders on tuxedo pants supposed to be this close to the front? I bought this Tuxedo used (from a forum member in fact) and the suspender buttons were configured this way. They're not noticable with the jacket and cummerbund on, but it still seems odd to me.

wojacket.jpg

Thanks for your advice!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The tradition is to show 3/4" of linen with formal wear, so yeah, you are showing a bit too much. If you can easily and cheaply get that sleeve taken down, I would.

You are obviously quite slim with sloping shoulders. Given that, I would have the suspender buttons moved out from the fly, otherwise the straps look like they may slide off your shoulder.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Thanks Manton, I appreciate your advice

I'm a little confused by your advice with the suspenders. How would moving them out from the fly reduce the chance of them sliding off my shoulders?

I was unaware that one has to consider more than aesthetics when placing suspender buttons

migo

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the closer you are to your neck, the more extreme the slope of your shoulder, so placing them there will cause them to slide around. Also, the suspenders are a practical accessory...why would you only consider aesthetics?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
I'm a little confused by your advice with the suspenders. How would moving them out from the fly reduce the chance of them sliding off my shoulders?

I was unaware that one has to consider more than aesthetics when placing suspender buttons

They way the straps are angling outward just makes them look as though they may slide off your shoulders. If you moved the buttons out away from the fly, the straps would angle more inward, toward your neck, or at least more straight.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ideal suspender position should create a flawless crease down the middle of the trouser, and the crease should bisect each knee.

And yes, you are showing a bit too much shirt cuff. Maximum before it starts looking ridiculous is about 3/4".

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
Am I showing too much cuff in the pic below?

Lengthen the sleeves a bit unless you're going for a very specific shrunken look and it's congruent with other style details like jacket length, overall silhouette and leg length. While it's OK/nice to show more cuff with black tie, that's really too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads