• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Overcoats

justagentlemen

Reaction score
I know that opera cloaks and Inverness' are reserved for white tie,but is the Chesterfield?Moreover,would it even be worth it to buy a Chesterfield,or should I just use my regular overcoat (black,full length cashmere).

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.

Apparently Hardy Amies thought otherwise.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.

I have one from the Polo line. It's an awesome coat!

LaoHu

Reaction score

And when might you be getting a size 44L in stock?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
And when might you be getting a size 44L in stock?

Sorry, only got a 44L RLPL tux in stock. The formal overcoat will have to wait a touch longer! I can't outfit you all in one go!
laugh.gif

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a black silk with white/silvery pindots scarf
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
And the other side is a wool/mohair blend that is woven in a black/silvery stripe patern. Very useful for being the Godfather for the last 15 minutes I'm going to remember from a given black tie activity.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I look at it like this; even if it is a later addition, which I don't doubt considering Will's the source, it was established before I was born and is widely accepted. There are other styles that I like and would wear (many listed here fall under this category), but it's the same as with pocket squares, vests, etc. One can still be well turned out without being strictly traditional, and it's not always a bad thing.

LaoHu

Reaction score
Sorry, only got a 44L RLPL tux in stock. The formal overcoat will have to wait a touch longer! I can't outfit you all in one go!
laugh.gif

And if I had not just purchased a tuxedo in 2006, that 44L RLPL would have been long gone!

LaoHu

Reaction score
I look at it like this; even if it is a later addition, which I don't doubt considering Will's the source, it was established before I was born and is widely accepted. There are other styles that I like and would wear (many listed here fall under this category), but it's the same as with pocket squares, vests, etc. One can still be well turned out without being strictly traditional, and it's not always a bad thing.

I quite agree, but I always like to know whose "rules" I'm breaking.

justagentlemen

Reaction score

Naturally.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good call here. I have the RLPL version of this coat made by Saint Andrews in cashmere that I got for $450 from the now infamous Woodbury Commons feeding frenzy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads