• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Tie Overcoats

justagentlemen

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I know that opera cloaks and Inverness' are reserved for white tie,but is the Chesterfield?Moreover,would it even be worth it to buy a Chesterfield,or should I just use my regular overcoat (black,full length cashmere).
 

J Simulcik

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.
 

LaoHu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.

Apparently Hardy Amies thought otherwise.
 

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
1,403
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by Holdfast
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.

I have one from the Polo line. It's an awesome coat!
 

LaoHu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by Holdfast
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.

And when might you be getting a size 44L in stock?
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Originally Posted by LaoHu
And when might you be getting a size 44L in stock?

Sorry, only got a 44L RLPL tux in stock. The formal overcoat will have to wait a touch longer! I can't outfit you all in one go!
 

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
3,058
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.
I use a black silk with white/silvery pindots scarf
And the other side is a wool/mohair blend that is woven in a black/silvery stripe patern. Very useful for being the Godfather for the last 15 minutes I'm going to remember from a given black tie activity.
 

J Simulcik

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
I look at it like this; even if it is a later addition, which I don't doubt considering Will's the source, it was established before I was born and is widely accepted. There are other styles that I like and would wear (many listed here fall under this category), but it's the same as with pocket squares, vests, etc. One can still be well turned out without being strictly traditional, and it's not always a bad thing.
 

LaoHu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Sorry, only got a 44L RLPL tux in stock. The formal overcoat will have to wait a touch longer! I can't outfit you all in one go!



And if I had not just purchased a tuxedo in 2006, that 44L RLPL would have been long gone!
 

LaoHu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
604
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
I look at it like this; even if it is a later addition, which I don't doubt considering Will's the source, it was established before I was born and is widely accepted. There are other styles that I like and would wear (many listed here fall under this category), but it's the same as with pocket squares, vests, etc. One can still be well turned out without being strictly traditional, and it's not always a bad thing.

I quite agree, but I always like to know whose "rules" I'm breaking.
 

justagentlemen

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
Though any black overcoat will most likely be fine, the Chesterfield is the 'correct' answer. Keep in mind, though, whichever you choose should be accompanied by a white silk, tasseled scarf which stays with the coat.

Naturally.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
774
Originally Posted by Holdfast
RL has some pretty cool black (and charcoal) 3/4 length wool Chesterfields with black velvet collars. Can't remember which line - might have been Black Label. The black one cries out for use with Black Tie, but the charcoal one is versatile enough to use in regular business settings.

Good call here. I have the RLPL version of this coat made by Saint Andrews in cashmere that I got for $450 from the now infamous Woodbury Commons feeding frenzy.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 75 16.9%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 147 33.1%
  • 8”

    Votes: 131 29.5%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

    Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 10”

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 2.0%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
433,078
Messages
9,305,059
Members
195,298
Latest member
Marisolcraft
Top