• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie optional wedding

Cameron59

Reaction score
Can not decide whether to wear a tux to BLK Tie optional wedding. Santa Fe in late September. Wedding is at 4 p.m.

Is Black Tie Optional just code for "please wear a tie and dark colored suit"?

Thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black tie optional is exactly what it says. You can wear black tie but if not, then a conservative dark suit and tie. If you already have a black tie rig, by all means wear it.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Black tie optional” is an utterly ridiculous phrase.

Think about how odd it would look for just a few people to show up in tuxedos and and the rest wearing whatever.

Skip the tux. Wear a dark suit.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Black tie optional” is an utterly ridiculous phrase.

Think about how odd it would look for just a few people to show up in tuxedos and and the rest wearing whatever.

Skip the tux. Wear a dark suit.

i could see the wedding party being black tie and not holding everybody else to that mode

is basically the lot of a bridesmaid to not nest with the group

if it sounds fun do black tie $.02.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, to me it means that the bridal party would love to see people in black tie attire but also recognizes that most men don't already have a tuxedo and they don't want people to go to the expense of getting a tuxedo if they don't have one. If you want to wear black tie, go for it. If you would feel self-conscious being in the minority of people wearing black tie, just wear a suit.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Means the bride would like to see people take attire seriously, and that people should feel free to go all out with this effort. But at the same time, don’t go rent a tux if you don’t have one.
If you have a tux, wear it. The bride or whoever opted for black tie optional would probably appreciate it. That’s why they stepped it up to that level. Have fun and play the part.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can not decide whether to wear a tux to BLK Tie optional wedding. Santa Fe in late September. Wedding is at 4 p.m.

Thanks
in my world this means everyone wears the ****** suit they have in the closet and two people show up dressed nicely and then look weird because they stand out so much.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
This is probably overly technical, but if I'm going to be overly technical about fashion rules anywhere this is likely the place.

Wedding is at 4pm. My understanding is that tux's are a no-go before 6pm (hence why I'm wearing a suit when I get married at 4:30 and a tux for my reception later this year.) Wouldn't going in a tux to a 4pm wedding be incorrect (or, perhaps, incorrect but overlooked since it's explicitly "optional"?)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

My own approach to this is to check with friends/family outside of the wedding party if they will be wearing a tux (so I'm not the only one), and if so, then if you own a tux feel free to wear it and if you do not own a tux do not feel compelled to rent one but try to wear a dark (navy, charcoal) suit. I've been to 'black tie optional' weddings where no one (including the groom) wore a tux and I've been to ones where well over 50% were in tuxedos. I think it largely depends on the crowd and location...

For black tie events (i.e. optional not indicated) I've always interpreted that as wear a tux or don't come...

Wedding is at 4pm. My understanding is that tux's are a no-go before 6pm (hence why I'm wearing a suit when I get married at 4:30 and a tux for my reception later this year.) Wouldn't going in a tux to a 4pm wedding be incorrect (or, perhaps, incorrect but overlooked since it's explicitly "optional"?)

My understanding has always been if the wedding directly leads into the reception, which starts around 5/6pm then you can wear your tux pre-5/6pm without it being against the rules. If the wedding is 11am and the reception is 6pm then wear a suit to the wedding and change into your tux for the reception

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Tie Optional just means they didn't have the stones to go Black Tie or even Black Tie Preferred.

I always translate Black Tie Optional as "I really wish people would wear black tie, but I'm afraid of imposing my will on other people or being seen as too pretentious."

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Black Tie Optional just means they didn't have the stones to go Black Tie or even Black Tie Preferred.

I always translate Black Tie Optional as "I really wish people would wear black tie, but I'm afraid of imposing my will on other people or being seen as too pretentious."

or understanding that there may be some friends or family that are not as well off and attending the wedding, paying for travel or whatever, and adding a tuxedo rental to the cost, might cause them to be apprehensive or uncomfortable about attending. And ultimately a wedding is supposed to be a celebration with friends and family, so no need to make them uncomfortable.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or understanding that there may be some friends or family that are not as well off and attending the wedding, paying for travel or whatever, and adding a tuxedo rental to the cost, might cause them to be apprehensive or uncomfortable about attending. And ultimately a wedding is supposed to be a celebration with friends and family, so no need to make them uncomfortable.

Black Tie Preferred allows for all those options while still strongly letting people know that if they can do BT the couple wants that to be what is worn.

BTO always leads to majority not in black tie.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Black Tie Preferred allows for all those options while still strongly letting people know that if they can do BT the couple wants that to be what is worn.

BTO always leads to majority not in black tie.

not disagreeing.
but the word “preferred” could still lead to an uncomfortable feeling for those who are going against the bride’s “preference”
A wedding is about the guests being a part of the occasion, families being together that might not see each other all that often, etc.. for some, it’s better to make everyone that is invited feel welcome.

so I view black tie optional as the couple letting the guests know that they would like to see some tuxedos. So play the part of you can.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not disagreeing.
but the word “preferred” could still lead to an uncomfortable feeling for those who are going against the bride’s “preference”
A wedding is about the guests being a part of the occasion, families being together that might not see each other all that often, etc.. for some, it’s better to make everyone that is invited feel welcome.

so I view black tie optional as the couple letting the guests know that they would like to see some tuxedos. So play the part of you can.

I think this would be a better argument in the age before mass communication.

My wife chose Preferred for our wedding. We had 330ish guests and I'd say 300-310 came black tie.

Almost all of our younger guests talked to us and we explained that if cost/travel etc was an issue it wasn't a big deal. And we had people coming from Asia, Europe, and all around the country.

Its so easy to ask now and "Preferred" elicits a convo in a way "Optional" doesn't.

Added benefit that it spurred a conversation about what Black Tie even means. Most of my younger female friends assumed it meant black dresses.

Ever BTO wedding I go to, people see "optional" and don't even ask the bride and groom.

I'll be at a BTO wedding at rhe Bel Air Bay Club next month. Everyone there has the money for a rig. I bet it will be sub 25% because of "optional" and Summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads