1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black tie optional event - suit & tie [image heavy]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slepice, Dec 13, 2012.

1. slepice

slepice New Member

Hi,
    I will be attending a black tie optional work-related evening event, where about half of the guests will obey the dress code (I can't and I'm not expected to at my level). However, I want to get a formal look without "faking" a black tie.

I'll be wearing a dark blue suit, white shirt, white handkerchief, black shoes, etc., but I need help with shirt and tie choice.

First, I can choose from two white shirts - one is patterned, the other is plain white with no patterns:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plain white looks more formal, but I'm a bit scared of it because the fabric is really thin and I'm not sure if it's note going to be a see-through shirt under artifical lights.

Also, I need to choose a tie. The obvious choice is silver tie, but I'm a bit scared it might be giving me a "wedding look".
    [​IMG]

I could try a black knit tie:

[​IMG]

Dark blue (probably better for daytime):

[​IMG]

Or a more aggresive black with white dots:

[​IMG]

I tried other ties, but most of them are too "business-like" and not really suitable for evening events... Any tips, suggestions?

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The dark blue tie probably would be best. The silver tie does look like a wedding tie, and long black ties are not okay in most professions.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Many will think you confused black tie with a black neck tie if you choose any of the above other than the blue dots tie.