• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie MTM in UK or Europe sub £1200

tylr20

Reaction score
Gents

I have worn MTM suits from Suitsupply so far and need a black tie suit. The available styles at SuSu are very odd and non-traditional black tie jacket cuts. I have checked out providers such as Cad and the Dandy as well as Desmond Merrion - MTM starts at c.£1,000 at either; however, once one picks a decent material the price jumps to c.£1700-2200. Can anyone recommend MTM or semi-bespoke tailors in London or the continent? I target a budget of max £1200 and look for durability and quality, ie I will wear the black tie 5-6 times per year.

Thank you

tylr20

Reaction score
Steed start at 1500GBP for MTM, Benson & Clegg at 1350GBP, Alexandra Wood at 1200GBP and Desmond Merrion at 985GBP.

Any experiences with the above please?

Or any other suggestions please, also outside the UK?

Last edited:

Quesjac

Reaction score
Can I ask why you want it to be MTM? Are you difficult to fit?

In terms of your budget, you'll get a higher quality product from high end RTW + alterations, unless the fit is going to be really challenging.

There are cheaper continental MTM options, eg. you could get measured in Paris for Lanieri or Boggi for around €900.

tylr20

Reaction score
Fit does not work at all (slim, broad shoulders etc.). Do Lanieri ever come to London?

Quesjac

Reaction score
Fit does not work at all (slim, broad shoulders etc.).
Ok. Hunting for a drop 8 model from one of the Italian houses might work, if you've not already ruled that out. You might still have luck with sizing up and tailoring if you have a really good alterations tailor, but of course it's not certain.

Do Lanieri ever come to London?
Not to my knowledge --- there's an online fitting process but it's more difficult to get right. I have had pretty successful results with it, though.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quoted 1200 GBP by C&D for a Dugdale Barathea in a black or midnight blue. Although not the most luxurious fabric, Barathea is a pretty classic staple for black tie rigs

I ended up going with Kent Wang, which are based out of london and NYC. I chose a VBC black fabric and grosgrain lapels and am in the sub $1000 USD range

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try Sims & Macdonald on Lamb's Conduit St.

Quesjac

Reaction score
You could try Sims & Macdonald on Lamb's Conduit St.
Two piece suit from £1500 --- seems like a push.

I think this is just an awkward price range. Not enough for off-row bespoke, but a much bigger investment than SuSu, Boggi etc. RTW.

How about Ede & Ravenscroft MTM? Nice products if you like the block and classical English style.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's for bespoke not MTM.

Sims & MacDonald have always been on the affordable side of the spectrum...lots of younger people go there (although their cut isn't exactly modern).

Quesjac

Reaction score
That's for bespoke not MTM.

Sims & MacDonald have always been on the affordable side of the spectrum...lots of younger people go there (although their cut isn't exactly modern).
My mistake. Didn't realise they offered MTM.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were him I'd get a bespoke odd jacket for evening wear and buy some simple RTW evening trousers, surely a better option.

If you're after something simple you can just get the jacket in an interesting enough fabric to be an odd jacket but still conservative.

Quesjac

Reaction score
So some possible options:
  1. European MTM company, eg Lanieri
  2. English MTM, eg. Ede & Ravenscroft MTM
  3. Su Misura from one of the Italian companies, eg. Canali is apparently just about within the top end of your price range, definitely a nicer base product than the others, but more expensive.
  4. Pay a bit more for off-row bespoke
  5. Pay a bit less for RTW and spend the rest on the best alterations tailor you can find
If you were happy with Suit Supply in terms of construction then I'd say take a look at the first two options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads