• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Gala - Advice Requested, re: Tuxedo Style & Outfit.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Alright SF'ers...

I live in Seattle, traditionally a pretty progressive and contemporary place. I've got a gala to attend later this year, and in anticipation bought a YSL Notched Lapel Tuxedo on Gilt (Link here - http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/buyers-picks-1746/product/169935067-yves-saint-laurent-wool-tuxedo). I had the tuxedo tailored, and I'm pretty happy with the fit. Having said that, I realize it is notched lapel tux which is not ideal... Having said that, I definitely liked the cut and material.

I have yet to buy the shirt, cufflinks, cumberbund, bow tie, or shoes. But today I stumbled upon this Gucci tuxedo jacket:
http://www.gucci.com/us/styles/282508Z64581000#

Now I realize this is totally loud, but it fits my personality pretty well. I think this would attract quite a bit of attention, and I'm alright with that - provided I can pull it off.

The facts are that this is a pretty progressive and contemporary scene... What do you guys think of the Gucci Jacket vs the YSL?

Also - open to suggestions on shoes, tuxedo shirts, suspenders, cumberbund, and bow ties. Totally new to all of this - so feel free to be as open and thorough as you'd like...

All feedback is appreciated, and while I really do want to rock this Gucci jacket, I know that this is the right place to vet these sorts of ideas.

Thanks in advance guys!:slayer:

FalconXtreme

Reaction score
I like the Gucci jacket a lot it is unorthodox and I am a younger progressive forum member. I would think twice if I was going to a black tie event with my bosses (40+ crowd).

Cubits

Reaction score
$3100 for a plastic, short, purposeless jacket?! Ouch.

I'm all for bending the rules, but just what kind of black tie event is this?

And at that price you could have a tux jacket made out of money, which has far better drape.

Last edited:

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
The event is a country club annual party. Nothing more than that... Varying crowd. Lots of drinking.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score

$3100 for a plastic, short, purposeless jacket?! Ouch.

I'm all for bending the rules, but just what kind of black tie event is this?

And at that price you could have a tux jacket made out of money, which has far better drape.

Ouch, plastic? How do you figure? That totally killed my vibe, re: jacket. HAHA! :foo:

Cubits

Reaction score
In the description on the left:

"76% polyester, 24% silk"

silk blend indeed.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great example of what a progressive person should wear at a dinner party. With this you are one step ahead of the crowd and sport already what others will wear in the far future. That is what I call progressive! Considering that the jacket is made from 24% silk and 76% polyester, the latter being a rare and precious material often referred to as the material of kings, I also consider a price of $3100 to be more than reasonable.

I think the jacket should be combined with these latex versace trousers (a bargain at $1275 IMHO)

and would go well with these boots, which emphasize the progressiveness of the jacket, while maintaining a sleek silhouette

To complete the outfit, I would avoid wearing a shirt. This will make you stand out even further and allow you to enjoy the great feeling of polyester on your skin. Only as far a s neckwear goes you should consider maintaining a reference to tradition and wear a self-tie black bow tie (satin rather than grossgrain).

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I see threads about compromising on tuxedos (notch vs peak etc), usually there are budgetary constraints. Not so here apparently.

OP, everyone here will tell you the same thing: absolutely do not buy the Gucci. It is obnoxious and expensive and made mostly from polyester, which is pretty much the worst fabric out there (especially when it is used in such high amounts).

I can't get the link to the first tuxedo to work, but I can't imagine it being worse. For the prices you are willing to pay, though, you should be able to find peak or shawl lapel, 1 button, etc, which is what most here will recommend you do. Price-wise, You are easily in high-end MTM territory if not bespoke (traveling Hong Kong tailors maybe).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads