• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Tie Functions- black bowtie? cravat? cummerband?

xarope

Reaction score
If the dress code is black tie, does the bow tie have to be black? I have a black as well as burgundy, also a black+white cravat, and have always worn either depending on my mood at the time of dressing (I used to attend a lot of functions, not that many nowadays), but the increase in questions on black-tie have got me thinking now. Or is the cravat strictly off-limits (too informal) for a dinner function?

How about a cummerband? My favourite is to wear the DB (I'm not so fond of the way I look in my SB), would it end up looking too busy for a DB w/cummerband?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xarope
If the dress code is black tie, does the bow tie have to be black? I have a black as well as burgundy, also a black+white cravat, and have always worn either depending on my mood at the time of dressing (I used to attend a lot of functions, not that many nowadays), but the increase in questions on black-tie have got me thinking now. Or is the cravat strictly off-limits (too informal) for a dinner function?

How about a cummerband? My favourite is to wear the DB (I'm not so fond of the way I look in my SB), would it end up looking too busy for a DB w/cummerband?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Suggest cummerbund is unnecessary with d/b and might be heating; it shouldn't look busy, though, unless you choose to unbutton the jacket. I think your intuition with regard to the cravat is correct and I would say black bow tie is preferable to any other colour.

Anthony.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that the bow tie should match the facings on your dinner jacket. So, black silk for black silk, black grosgrain for black grosgrain. If you had a midnight blue tux with blue silk facings (there are debates elsewhere over whether this is preferable to black silk, I do not express an opinion on that), I would imagine you should procure a midnight blue silk bowtie.

As for the cummerbund, it's right to say that it ought not be visible while you're wearing a DB jacket. Should you want to remove that jacket, it will cover the waistband of your trousers, however, which is desirable. If you have Daks tops on your trousers, this is the look you want. If you are wearing braces, and plan on doffing the jacket, you'll need a waistcoat, I'm afraid.

As to what formal waistcoat to wear with a DB DJ, I have no idea!

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The False Prophet
I understand that the bow tie should match the facings on your dinner jacket. So, black silk for black silk, black grosgrain for black grosgrain. If you had a midnight blue tux with blue silk facings (there are debates elsewhere over whether this is preferable to black silk, I do not express an opinion on that), I would imagine you should procure a midnight blue silk bowtie.

As for the cummerbund, it's right to say that it ought not be visible while you're wearing a DB jacket. Should you want to remove that jacket, it will cover the waistband of your trousers, however, which is desirable. If you have Daks tops on your trousers, this is the look you want. If you are wearing braces, and plan on doffing the jacket, you'll need a waistcoat, I'm afraid.

As to what formal waistcoat to wear with a DB DJ, I have no idea!

The correct facings for a midnight blue DJ would be black (grosgrain preferrably).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads