• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie fit critique

montymarvin

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to figure out which alterations I need for this outfit. Currently, I am thinking shirt sleeves -0.5", trousers -0.5". Not sure about jacket length (and others). What do you think?

Thank you!

IMG_5969.jpg IMG_5970.jpg IMG_5968.jpg

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants adjustment sounds right. I think the sleeves are personal preference but I'd let out the jacket sleeve as opposed to raising the shirt.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Shawl Lapel - the sleeves look too short and should go closer to the wrist.

bensm1th

Reaction score
jacket sleeves are too short. To me they are way too short. I'm a 40L, and a jacket looks like that if I get a 40R. In other words, to me, it look a size off.

montymarvin

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Will post an update once the alterations are done.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeve pitch causing quite a bit of wrinkling down the arm, and letting out the waist a touch might ease the lower back wrinkling.

a1s2d3

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to figure out which alterations I need for this outfit. Currently, I am thinking shirt sleeves -0.5", trousers -0.5". Not sure about jacket length (and others). What do you think?

Thank you!

View attachment 1258872 View attachment 1258873 View attachment 1258874
I would not go to a long size to lengthen the sleeves as it would make the rest of the jacket (front, back, buttoning point) drop, I would just let out the sleeve or get a different jacket. Not sure of the cause of the wrinkly sleeves but I'm guessing it is because the fabric is light weight.

mux8

Reaction score
Jacket shoulders kinda look too large.

c_omeara

Reaction score
Lengthen sleeves at least 1/4", I might even push it to 1/2". Shoulders are too large on the jacket, try going a size smaller, if you're 40, try a 39 if you can find it, fairly difficult however to find. I might even push a 38 and let out the sides a tad. I would also suggest a slightly smaller bowtie, although it might be fixed by straightening the bowtie a bit, making it look neater and more presentable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads