1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black tie event with navy suit - what shirt/ neckwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by M Colleague, Dec 29, 2012.

1. M Colleague

M Colleague Member

Hey guys,

I'm going to a black-tie-ish NYE party. Having attended the event before I know that there's going to be a number of people wearing normal dark suits. In recent years I've always worn my black tuxedo and felt appropriately dressed, but this time I forgot to bring it.

The most formal option I have available is a very nice navy two button suit. I guess I want to 'dress it up' but I'm unsure if it's fine to combine it with my normal tuxedo gear (which I have available). Here's all my options:

Shirt:
    1. Tuxedo shirt with a hidden placket and Kent collar
    2. White business shirt with a semi-spread collar

Neckwear:
    1. Black bow tie
    2. Black tie with very subtle white stripes
    3. Solid blue tie (with a hue dangerously close to the color of my suit :/)

Can you guys please help me pick the most appropriate/formal combination :)

2. Stony32

Stony32 Well-Known Member

Shirt: 2
    Tie: 3

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This: business solid white shirt (#2) and solid navy tie (#3). You'll look great. Mixing a formal shirt and tie with a business suit is a no-no, and you'll look awful. Wear the business getup and have fun on NYE.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

this

5. codeman92190

codeman92190 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of this? I feel like you may be able to get away with this and maintain a level whimsicality appropriate for a New Years celebration depending on exactly how business-like your suit and shirt are and how formal this bow-tie is. You certainly don't want to look like you're trying a poor man's tuxedo, but I don't imagine it would be very fun to celebrate the New Year like you're going to a board meeting. Is buying a more interesting tie out in town not an option?

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

2, and probably 2 - second the request for a pic of the black tie.