• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.blacktieguide.com/ is inconcluvie on this as it states...

Suspenders (or "braces" in the UK) are always worn with a tuxedo. This is not just a matter of tradition but also of style as Dressing the Man points out. Braces raise the trouser waistband to prevent a gap between the waistcoat and the pants and they align the trousers' pleats and the waistcoat's points. Unlike belts, they do not create any extra bulk along the waistline.

Formal suspenders are always the button-on variety, never clip-on.

The Indispensable Guide to Classic Men's Clothing states categorically that black tie braces should be white. The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes dictates that they should be black. Most other formalwear authorities say nothing at all on the topic. Ultimately, the answer is irrelevant because suspenders are underwear and as such are never meant to see the light of day. (This is but one of the many reasons that a gentleman never removes his jacket at a formal function). With that in mind, a man is free to indulge his whims and don any colour or pattern that suits his fancy.

What is the board's stance on this? Black or white? For the record, I'll be wearing a turndown collar shirt with a 1B peak lapel DJ.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
White tie really have to be white. Black tie can be black or white, though black is strictly speaking more "correct."

Don't sweat it, though, as either will look good, and no one is going to see them anyway.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
http://www.blacktieguide.com/ is inconcluvie on this as it states...

Suspenders (or "braces" in the UK) are always worn with a tuxedo. This is not just a matter of tradition but also of style as Dressing the Man points out. Braces raise the trouser waistband to prevent a gap between the waistcoat and the pants and they align the trousers' pleats and the waistcoat's points. Unlike belts, they do not create any extra bulk along the waistline.

Formal suspenders are always the button-on variety, never clip-on.

The Indispensable Guide to Classic Men's Clothing states categorically that black tie braces should be white. The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes dictates that they should be black. Most other formalwear authorities say nothing at all on the topic. Ultimately, the answer is irrelevant because suspenders are underwear and as such are never meant to see the light of day. (This is but one of the many reasons that a gentleman never removes his jacket at a formal function). With that in mind, a man is free to indulge his whims and don any colour or pattern that suits his fancy.

What is the board's stance on this? Black or white? For the record, I'll be wearing a turndown collar shirt with a 1B peak lapel DJ.

I believe you are supposed to wear black braces with black tie. If that is a correct statement of the rule, then it is a pointless rule. I wear white because that is what I have. I chose white because it seems to disappear nicely against my white shirt and white cummerbund. I am happy with the choice.

athletics

Reaction score
I found myself wondering the same question last night as I am narrowing down my wedding day attire. I saw some at Brooks Brothers that were black on the front (leather and fabric) and white leather in the back. I was thrown for a loop there.

I decided to go with a black vest and will probably go with black braces. From what maker, I don't know...and does that really matter?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size braces work with what jacket / shirt sizes?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Braces typcially only come in medium or long, and what size you need depends on how tall you are and the rise of your trousers. When in doubt, get the shorter size, so you don't end up with the levers rubbing against your collar bone.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slight resurrection: would braces like this work?

ms0404801.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I wear white because that is what I have. I chose white because it seems to disappear nicely against my white shirt and white cummerbund.

White cummerbund?

Snazzy.

- B

Reaction score
I think braces are the one part of a black tie outfit where creativity can be injected with relative impunity (unlike coloured bow ties, cummerbunds etc). I've worn black on occasion but also a pair of wine coloured ones.

Ultimately nobody sees them, so it doesn't really matter a jot.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 011235
I think braces are the one part of a black tie outfit where creativity can be injected with relative impunity (unlike coloured bow ties, cummerbunds etc). I've worn black on occasion but also a pair of wine coloured ones.

Ultimately nobody sees them, so it doesn't really matter a jot.

... until the end of the party* and you finally take your DJacket off. It's about the same time as your bowtie comes undone ... and you want your bowtie to come untied, not unclipped, right?? Equally, you want your suspenders to be white or black, not ... "other"

*or the end of the Wedding reception; this is about the time when that cute bridesmaid decides whether or not she likes you that much ... get all the help you can!
Originally Posted by King Francis
What size braces work with what jacket / shirt sizes?

I recently bought a pair of braces from Albert Thurston ... before ordering I e-mailed them for info on picking the right size & they were very helpful. (It's basically a question of the distance the brace has to go from the back button, over your shoulder, to the front button, that decides size. The details of that, alas, are lost in the foggy recesses of my memory.

mdg137

Reaction score
With black tie, I wear a pair of black silk braces with super fine vertical stripes in white-- granted, I also almost always wear a vest as well...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
... until the end of the party* and you finally take your DJacket off. It's about the same time as your bowtie comes undone ... and you want your bowtie to come untied, not unclipped, right?? Equally, you want your suspenders to be white or black, not ... "other"

*or the end of the Wedding reception; this is about the time when that cute bridesmaid decides whether or not she likes you that much ... get all the help you can!

In such a situation I'm sure you would agree too that it matters little!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as no one is supposed to see them anyway, why not get something BLOODY AWESOME

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics