• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black t-shirts

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody got a source for basic black t-shirts? Good quality cotton, no pocket, and short enough to be worn alone. Say $15 or less. I'm having a heck of a time finding them. You would think that such a basic item would be easy to find...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I extend this question to ask about slim-fitting, short-hemmed t-shirts in every other color?

Over here, the trend is for colored t-shirts with an endless array of graffiti/off-center graphic prints, and it's gotten real old real fast. What happened to basics? Actual plain colors I can wear that don't make me look like a fashion victim?

As for black t-shirts, I wear Bonds, but you can't get them in the US, so I am of precisely zero help there.

Phil

Reaction score
jcrew sells a two pack of tshirts, no pocket, great fit, for about $21.00. They come 1 gray, 1 black. I like them because they are slim fitting and short enough to wear without having to tuck them in.

marc37

Reaction score
Anybody got a source for basic black t-shirts? Good quality cotton, no pocket, and short enough to be worn alone. Say $15 or less. I'm having a heck of a time finding them. You would think that such a basic item would be easy to find...
Gee; you don't half expect much do you?.? l can get Bonds aussie t-shirts for only $5.00: they are nearly as good as some of the Gucci's l have. lf you can't get them anywhere else, try Oz. l buy some t-shirts from Myers/David Jones. Here are some weblinks: http://www.myer.com.au/ Maybe Myer ebay can help (l doubt it though) http://search.ebay.com.au/myer_W0....wuserZ1 Here is a David Jones link: http://www.davidjones.com.au/ Mr Harris: maybe you could do a bulk order. Maybe we could barter?
biggrin.gif
 You give me brilliant shoes for some black t-shirts. Nick: the old graffiti t-shirts hey. l know what you mean; it has got so boring. l fell in love with the trend [briefly] for 2 weeks and them l come to my senses. lt is too mainstream. l do not own any graffiti clothing and l am glad. Go to South Yarra these days: the shops are full of graffiti clothing and lots of poorly made mega-trendy clothing. Chapel street has gone down in the last 5 years. There are so many try-hard trendys that have no idea.

itzamazing

Reaction score
I don't know many good quality brands that can be had for $15 at regular retail, but if you check for sales, you can find some decent sales ($20 or so) on the following brands: Tailgate C&C California Paper Denim and Cloth Velvet Men James Perse Itsus All of these are usually made with a nice quality combed cotton and the hem is short enough that it looks good alone with jeans. They may be harder to locate on sale depending on your location. I have never paid the insane ($50) retail prices they charge. Take a look at: http://www.goclothing.com They have a good selection of harder to find brands. and often run 20% off promotion codes. At less than $15, you can wait for a sale on the Banana Republic stretch tees. They usually go down to about $6.99 and come in a variety of colors. Ditto this for other mall staples like Armani Exchange.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I would have recommended Gucci, but they are more than $15
biggrin.gif

NYCDan

Reaction score
Is there a Nordstrom Rack near you? At the Westbury location that had Tricot's SR tees for $19.99 A bit more than your $15, but I thought they were a nice buy.

Avnish, and the point of that post was???

Oltmann

Reaction score
I am fond of American Apparel shirts. Link I think they fit your specifications to the T (sorry I had to do it.)
biggrin.gif
You may want to email them and ask if they have any retail locations near you, because they are available at my local college bookstore at a signifigant discount, even though it isn't listed on their site.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew, I swear by Gap Classic Fit. I've never gotten a black one, so I can't comment on the how it will wash, but I have one in Navy that has washed fine. I wear a 38 or 39 suit and the medium fits me like a glove. (not literally of course). It is nice and slim, and will hit just below the belt line when wearing jeans. Shorter sleeves, and the neck really stays in shape (no getting loose and crap). They wash well and I even dry mine without any real negative side effects. Very soft cotton and durable as hell. I'm going on a t-shirt buying binge soon (getting rid of the old ones), and it will be all Gap Classic for me (I like them much better than anything BR or J. Crew sells).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Calvin Klein basic black t-shirts exclusively. You can buy a 3-pack for $30 or at a Nordstrom Rack type place for $20. While they won't last for more than a few months, they are cheap, good fitting, and of decent quality.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hanro should make them.

As well as Costume National, and Helmut Lang. Under $15 I don't think so but at least the quality will be higher.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Avnish, and the point of that post was???

The point being; everyone else has also posted T-shirts over $15, and being that I wear Gucci ones, I thought I may pass the recomendation.

And again I ask you; who is Avnish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics