Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Swan

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by poorsod, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I finally got to see the movie today. I enjoyed it. Loved the music and the energy of everything. Anybody else who has seen it think the Mom was VERY creepy? How about that scene with the cake?

I was the only person in the theater laughing during that scene. It was like it happened verbatim from a childhood memory. [​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was the only person in the theater laughing during that scene. It was like it happened verbatim from a childhood memory. [​IMG]

Yeah, the mom was very Lynchian.

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

4. L_Driver

L_Driver Member

I will be seeing this during my annual movie and chinese date. It is the traditional Jewish way to celebrate Christmas, after all.

I expect to just stare at the screen with mouth agape.

5. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

Just saw it at Union Square (east village) in Manhattan. 95% of the audience was between 21 and 28 years old. Not a normal diverse audience at all. This past weekend every evening showing (of multiple theaters) was sold out.

I was thinking about "Showgirls" during parts of it - some scenes/parts were so ridiculous.

The music is Tchaikovsky of course... and it is great over the loud theater sound system.

As for the movie itself... ehhhh. It's selling tickets 'cause it is billed as a modern "sexual thriller". The movie (inc. the sex) just ain't that good.

If they cut 2 scenes they'd have just another movie that'll soon be on TV at 2pm on Saturday afternoon.

6. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

going to see it this weekend

7. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    i watched it last night and loved it.

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I read that reactions and reviews of the movie are very much divided by age. People over 50 disliked the movie, often intensely, while people under 50 liked it a lot. Since I'm closing in on 69, guess I know which side that puts me.

This might help you, but it does nothing for me. I'm 38 and rarely want to see the same movies 20-year-olds want to see. At the same time, sometimes I share interests with the 50-plus crowd, and sometimes I don't. So what does that make me and my ilk...upper-tweeners? Hmmmmm....

Ack! Forget it, then!

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

i just wanna see mila kunis go at it with natalie portman...just proof that prayers are answered....right now im just waiting for miranda kerr to walk by my office naked doing the backwards crabwalk.
    I have heard there is no nudity in the lez-boat scenes. If this is true, I have no further interest in the film.
    You guys going to see this kind of movie for the lesbian sex makes about as much sense as reading "War and Peace" for that great kissing scene on page 982. I mean, srsly...

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Saw it last night. +1 on the Showgirls comparison. I found myself cracking up at times when I know the director was not going for a laugh.

11. East2West

East2West Senior member

I saw it last night and really liked it...I dont care if anyone turns their nose up at my opinion. It was good.

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Just came back from watching it.

It was aight.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Well, I saw Black Swan tonight. Really didn't want to. I hate Natalie Portman. But the girl dragged me to it. And I have to admit that I really enjoyed it. The sex scene was actually kinda lame and entirely unnecessary, IMO. I loved the movie, though.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Interesting. Why'd you love it? Just out of curiosity, how many times did she look over at you during the lesbo scene?

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Interesting. Why'd you love it? Just out of curiosity, how many times did she look over at you during the lesbo scene?
    The acting was great. The story was interesting--- predictable at some points, but at other points it seemed to be like a funhouse mirror. There were a couple moments in the movie that L and I thought were predictable that we turned out to be incorrect about. It was interesting to see the dancing and stuff, but realistically, this is a psychological thriller taking place in a ballet company, not a movie about ballet. And IMO in psychological thrillers dealing w/ schizophrenia type people, the quality of the movie comes down mostly to acting and storyline.