• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Swan

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I have heard there is no nudity in the lez-boat scenes. If this is true, I have no further interest in the film.

thumbs down.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that reactions and reviews of the movie are very much divided by age. People over 50 disliked the movie, often intensely, while people under 50 liked it a lot. Since I'm closing in on 69, guess I know which side that puts me.

Also, the fact that there was no nudity in the lesbo scene was a deal-breaker for me as well.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm 29 and i thought the movie sucked. i also hate natalie portman though

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
i just wanna see mila kunis go at it with natalie portman...just proof that prayers are answered....right now im just waiting for miranda kerr to walk by my office naked doing the backwards crabwalk.

Sigged.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw it last night and I want my two hours back.

One of the worst.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I have heard there is no nudity in the lez-boat scenes. If this is true, I have no further interest in the film.

+1

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Saw Black Swan last night. It was good as far as modern movies go. A few over the top parts, and parts that just show off effects. A lot of Aronofsky sexuality. I am sure a lot of people who have not seen really good movies will rave.

What other American movie in current release would you qualify as a "good movie"?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Natalie Portman got paid $20k every time someone grabbed, fondled, or caressed her junk in this movie. That being said - I think this may be one of Aronofsky's best movies.
Originally Posted by Guitar Preacher
just as excited to finally see a trailer for The Tree of Life.
Was good.
Originally Posted by A Y
I haven't seen it yet, but plan to despite what I said. I just wish he didn't feel the need to play up the popular stereotypes of ballet to make his movie.
Maybe I'm unaware of the popular stereotypes of ballet. I didn't really notice anything egregious. The wrestler was really bad at this though, maybe I'm just either more ignorant of the stereotypes or they aren't really that important. I will say though that pretty much all of these girls need a ******* sandwich. I don't think that's an untrue stereotype though.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I will say though that pretty much all of these girls need a ******* sandwich. I don't think that's an untrue stereotype though.

Yes, they are mostly very skinny, but no more so than dedicated athletes who need to worry about their weight that are working at the top of their game. Their diet is not very different than some of the cutting bro diets you find in the health forum: high protein, low carbs, low fat. And some do have eating disorders, but they're not all psychotic, passive women trapped in a *********** like this movie and the various interviews would have you believe.

There are plenty of real vices that Aronofsky could have shown if he wanted to, but I guess he chose what would make his movie his movie. I hope people don't think this movie reflects the ballet world accurately.

The article posted by poorsod also has more silly comments by Portman and Kunis. They do live like monks, but this is no different than other kinds of elite athletes who have to dedicate their lives to their sport in order to achieve the kind of performance they do. And they do like to go out, party, and eat good food --- not that different than regular people really.

If I had to guess, Portman and Kunis had an especially difficult time preparing for this movie, because they had to compress into 1 year what most trained dancers do over 10-15 years, and they're projecting their experience to the whole dance world.

--Andre

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The reception to it from the ballet world has been both hot and cool.
--Andre

There's a ballet world? Do they have space ships and stuff? They're all homos there, right?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
but they're not all psychotic, passive women trapped in a *********** like this movie and the various interviews would have you believe.
Is that what you got from the movie? Cause that's not how I'd characterize it.
There are plenty of real vices that Aronofsky could have shown if he wanted to, but I guess he chose what would make his movie his movie. I hope people don't think this movie reflects the ballet world accurately.
This is what I don't get. This seems like a particularly empty criticism. The vices that he chose to show were the result of one character's psychotic obsession with perfection. This wasn't portrayed as systemic or common. In fact quite the opposite. So what exactly is the complaint? That the movie wasn't a documentary?
If I had to guess, Portman and Kunis had an especially difficult time preparing for this movie, because they had to compress into 1 year what most trained dancers do over 10-15 years, and they're projecting their experience to the whole dance world. --Andre
What?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What?

FTA:

"We were probably doing eight hours a day," Portman said, "and the physical discipline of it really helped for the emotional side of the character because you get the sense of the sort of monastic lifestyle of only working out that is a ballet dancer's life. You don't drink. You don't go out with your friends. You don't have much food. You are constantly putting your body through extreme pain and you really get that understanding of the self-flagellation of a ballet dancer."
The pain and struggle is mostly true, but the rest of it, including the self-flagellation, is false. The complaint is that the movie is a caricature of the ballet world, but that wouldn't be a new complaint for most movies on most subjects.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads