• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

black suits?????

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Chuck and Policy be fighting on the undercard?  The action in that one was getting good until Policy was disqualified for too many low blows.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is back.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bresch ain't from NYC. I think Bresch fights out of the Philly A.C. I saw him in wrestle under the nom de guerre Dr. D'Anvenza.

On the black question, I have a black and grey heathered pattern, does this change the equation?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bresch ain't from NYC.  I think Bresch fights out of the Philly A.C.  I saw him in wrestle under the nom de guerre Dr. D'Anvenza.

On the black question, I have a black and grey heathered pattern, does this change the equation?
Yes (opinion). I have an Isaia get up of that pattern. Wears great with...BROWN SHOES.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my db black suit.

Don't be afraid to wear a black suit.

I would wear it on a train, I would wear it in the rain, in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse, I would wear one on a boat, with a goat, I would wear it here and there. I would wear it anywhere. (well, anywhere I would wear a navy suit.)

(can you guess what book I read to my 4 year old last night?)

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my db black suit.

Don't be afraid to wear a black suit.

I would wear it on a train, I would wear it in the rain, in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse, I would wear one on a boat, with a goat, I would wear it here and there. I would wear it anywhere. (well, anywhere I would wear a navy suit.)

(can you guess what book I read to my 4 year old last night?)
I am assuming not "The Dandy," by Manton.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Manton on black suits as unsuitable for *most* businesswear (besides, they are impractical - it is much more difficult to match shirts and ties with black rather than navy or charcoal and medium grey suits). The exception being in creative fields, of course, where black suits are standard.

That being said, and although Manton may disagree with them, the really influential mainstream designers who *really * influence what men wear in the workplace, have decreed the black suit as indispensible - the suit to have. It is one of Donna Karan's basics for men, and Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole have made similar statements. Whether you think these designers make garbage is irrelevant, they, and not Flusser, and not Manton, and not those old dudes sewing away at Kiton, really do dictate the menswear landscape in America to a large degree. You might not like it; but thems is the facts.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
but thems is the facts.
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present a Harvard education.
tounge.gif
Jon.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with Manton on black suits as unsuitable for *most* businesswear (besides, they are impractical - it is much more difficult to match shirts and ties with black rather than navy or charcoal and medium grey suits).  The exception being in creative fields, of course, where black suits are standard.  

That being said, and although Manton may disagree with them, the really influential mainstream designers who *really * influence what men wear in the workplace, have decreed the black suit as indispensible - the suit to have.  It is one of Donna Karan's basics for men, and Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole have made similar statements.  Whether you think these designers make garbage is irrelevant, they, and not Flusser, and not Manton, and not those old dudes sewing away at Kiton, really do dictate the menswear landscape in America to a large degree.  You might not like it; but thems is the facts.
To take this a step further, seanandnik, let me add that clothing choices are not dictated by facts (historical or otherwise), but rather by taste. No one tells me what I may wear; I'm a big boy with my own developed sense of taste. Therefore, I honestly don't give a rat's ass what Manton, Flusser, or Donna Karen think about black suits, and neither should you. Do what you wish.

Now, knowing what affect your choice of clothing will have on others is a different matter. If you're highly conscious of what others think, then examine those around you and how progressive they are in their fashion senses. If very progressive, go with the black suit; if staid and traditional, shy away. But if you're okay with the occasional glance of disapproval while you're out at the club (which may or may not happen), then I reiterate: do what you wish.

(And remember, folks, he did indicate that this would be primarily for attire to clubs, not business meetings.)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm, now that I look back on my previous post, it seems that I may have worded the first paragraph a bit strongly. My intention was not to indicate that Manton, Flusser, and Donna Karen have no taste or sense of style, or that they can't be valuable resources (they all can), but rather that I don't let others tell me what looks good.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For the record, Teacher, the original question which started this whole business was not "Do black suits look good?" but "Are black suits considered appropriate for business?"

The answer to the first question is indeed a matter of taste.  Personally, I do not think that black suits look good.  Yet I realize that others do, and I have repeatedly encouraged others to dress according to their own individual sense of stlye.

The answer to the second question, however, is a matter of fact and not taste.  Some reasonably argued that in our time what is "appropriate" is in flux.  Which is why the original debate soon evolved into an inquiry into whether, historically, throughout most of the the 20th century, black suits were considered appropriate for business.  I made the best case that I could that they were not.  I may yet be proved wrong on that point; who can say?  But I was emphatically not telling anyone what to wear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why the original debate soon evolved into an inquiry into whether, historically, throughout most of the the 20th century, black suits were considered appropriate for business.  I made the best case that I could that they were not.  
I would agree with Manton that black suits were not acceptable until the early to mid 1990's, during which minimalism became mainstream, and minimalist designers changed, at least to sme degree, the business dress landscape.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
black suits were not acceptable until the early to mid 1990s, during which minimalism became mainstream, and minimalist designers changed, at least to some degree, the business dress landscape.
I agree, or fear, that you are right. We of course strongly disagree on whether this change is good or bad.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
No way this could possibly get as big as fast as the last one... BTW just got my old trusty Zegna 2 button with pinstripes tailored, so I plan to wear it in a business setting this season...
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads