• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

black suits?????

seanandnik

Reaction score
Just the other day I got a great casual all black Zegna suit at a used clothing store here in Boston. It's single breasted, fully lined(i'd rather 1/4 for summer though)and 100% lightweight wool and has patch pockets in front,so I guess this makes it a little more casual. When I put it on I always feel as if I'm dressed for a wake or funeral though. Is an all black suit appropriate for other occasions like say a wedding I have to attend in Oct. ? It is the Zegna "soft" line, does anyone know if this line is fused or not ? I would bet it probably is but I can never tell for sure. Although for $125 I think I got a decent deal, the jacket fits like it was tailored for me and the pants are just an inch or so too big in the waist but other than that it is great.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha.... please don't bring this subject up. People here get very heated.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who care what people here thinks .. if you like it .. then get it
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional doctrine dictates that black is reserved for dinner attire, rather than suits.

Admittedly, black is (seemingly) the most popular color of suit among the younger set. Men are taking the black suit to be their equivalent of the woman's "little black cocktail dress," e.g., an all-purpose suit. It really is not. Unfortunately, that misconception yieds far too many black, 3-button, poly-blend suits worn with too-colorful shirts and clunky shoes to count. That's bad -- you do not wish to be in bed with that look.

On the other hand, I do have a black suit and I like it very much. Black is very severe, as I am. I recommend trying to avoid the garish overly-colorful look I see commonly, and certainly the clunky shoes.

I really wouldn't be comfortable (at all.) wearing a black suit in the daytime in the summer. Think evenings, at least, and in the summer I wouldn't think very much of wearing it before nightfall.

I wouldn't wear it to a wedding, especially if you are in the US (and not with patch pockets, either). Black is the funeral color here, would you want that note at your wedding? Doubtless, others will be in black suits. What can you do.

Black suits are popular. Most people whom I see wearing suits badly are wearing black suits. They also do so all the time, even when it looks really odd. Wear it, but wear it well.

Regards,
Huntsman

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer another of your questions, yes it's fused.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
BLACK SUITS...THE REMATCH TALE OF THE TAPE MANTON vs BRESCH Savile Row Fights out of NYC Unknown RTW Chest size Unknown Thankfully unknown RTW inleg Ditto 2014 posts Record 209 1.82 per day Posting velocity 0.56 per day 57 book bibiliography Knockout blow "Dorm room debating antics" ...In the red corner, dressed in a brown town suit in mid afternoon, from the fighting city of Savile Row, we have Mr Manton...and in the blue corner, dressed in black from head to Alden-clad toe ladies and gentlemen, representing New York City, we have Dr Bresch....

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BLACK SUITS...THE REMATCH                TALE OF THE TAPE MANTON            vs                      BRESCH Savile Row           Fights out of               NYC Unknown           RTW Chest size             Unknown Thankfully unknown   RTW inleg                 Ditto 2014 posts          Record                    209 1.82 per day        Posting velocity             0.56 per day 57 book bibiliography  Knockout blow             "Dorm room debating antics" ...In the red corner, dressed in a brown town suit in mid afternoon, from the fighting city of Savile Row, we have Mr Manton...and in the blue corner, dressed in black from head to Alden-clad toe ladies and gentlemen, representing New York City, we have Dr Bresch....
Best post ever.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Where can we bet? Who's the bookmaker?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BLACK SUITS...THE REMATCH                TALE OF THE TAPE MANTON            vs                      BRESCH Savile Row           Fights out of               NYC Unknown           RTW Chest size             Unknown Thankfully unknown   RTW inleg                 Ditto 2014 posts          Record                    209 1.82 per day        Posting velocity             0.56 per day 57 book bibiliography  Knockout blow             "Dorm room debating antics" ...In the red corner, dressed in a brown town suit in mid afternoon, from the fighting city of Savile Row, we have Mr Manton...and in the blue corner, dressed in black from head to Alden-clad toe ladies and gentlemen, representing New York City, we have Dr Bresch....
This is too friggin hilarious. By the way, during on campus interviews last summer at my law school, nearly everyone was wearing a black suit. People even said stuff to me to the effect that wearing a navy suit was impropoer and that I should have worn black. Amazing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you are rather fond of Helmut Lang or Dior Homme types of looks then black suits in a conventional context is most likely not suited for you.

Or if you work as a funeral director.

seanandnik

Reaction score
I did not intend to cause such a stir .. Due to my ignorant lack of searching skills I was unaware this was such a heated topic. I do see the point as to not wanting someone to wear a black suit to my wedding, but hold firm to my belief of wearing it out to a club or the like. Bright, garish shirt/tie combo's are really not me, regardless of suit color, especially with black I would think, and as for the "chunky" shoes, I am not familiar with the term and am hopefully that I do not own such shoes. I was thinking of wearing a pair of black suede Aldens I have, or maybe my navy suede Bally plain loafers. Again, sorry for stirring up such a *#$%storm, but I have to admit I found the replies most amusing.

alchimiste

Reaction score
hold firm to my belief of wearing it out to a club or the like.

Black is too formal for day wear. Wearing a black suit to a club would be acceptable (although Manton may prefer a smoking jacket for this purpose, but that may be a different kind of club.) I don't think many people here would agree with black suits for interviews.

Mathieu

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I could've sworn I heard something ... Nah, must be my imagination.

P.S.: The bibliography is up to 66.  Still a possibility for further growth, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads