• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suits for My Wedding?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to do black suits for my wedding since everyone has one, and we are trying to do it on the cheaper side of things. I would rather do grey, but we would all have to get the same one to make sure they match.

Right now, I am thinking of a few different options, let me know which you think is best.

1) Me: Black Suit, black tie
Groomsmen: Black Suits, black ties

2) Me: Black Suit, grey tie
Groomsmen: Black Suits, black ties

3) Me: Black Suit, grey tie
Groomsmen: Black Suits, grey ties

Which of these do you think would look best?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't have to match. It's fine if the suits aren't the same, and if's fine if the ties aren't the same, though they should all be conservative and tasteful, and usually in the same gray color scheme.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People are going to eat you alive to suggest black, but generally you should be dressed differently than your groomsmen. Why don't you do the grey tie and they do the black.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it an evening wedding? Why don't you wear a grey suit and have the others wear black?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's not the popular choice here, but we want it to be as traditional as possible without buying tuxedo's. I really don't think it would look good if we were all wearing different colors, so I would rather just see it relatively consistent with black.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Is it an evening wedding? Why don't you wear a grey suit and have the others wear black?

I forgot to list that one, I liked that idea, but I wasn't sure if it would look weird.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I forgot to list that one, I liked that idea, but I wasn't sure if it would look weird.

That's your best bet.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I were to wear a grey suit, what color tie would you suggest?

bearsfan172

Reaction score
I disagree with the others on here... I'm a firm believer that the groom should always be dressed in black while he is married. Be it a tux or a suit. This is one of those places where I think typical SF groupthink falls short. While grey suits are certainly better for daily wear... for a wedding, I think there is no other substitute.

And as the OP says, everyone has one. Dress everyone in black. And the best way to differentiate yourself is a nice, brightly colored boutonniere, maybe in white to make it stand out and show that you're the groom. If you could dress everyone else in grey suits, that would be fine as well... but based on what you are saying, I don't think that people have them, or would be willing to go out and purchase new suits

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
I disagree with the others on here... I'm a firm believer that the groom should always be dressed in black while he is married. Be it a tux or a suit. This is one of those places where I think typical SF groupthink falls short. While grey suits are certainly better for daily wear... for a wedding, I think there is no other substitute.

And as the OP says, everyone has one. Dress everyone in black. And the best way to differentiate yourself is a nice, brightly colored boutonniere, maybe in white to make it stand out and show that you're the groom. If you could dress everyone else in grey suits, that would be fine as well... but based on what you are saying, I don't think that people have them, or would be willing to go out and purchase new suits

I don't think everyone has a black suit? It's the very last suit I bought and I've only worn it once.

The last few weddings I've been to actually went with black suits. It actually looked fine. One of the weddings was the groom in grey / rest in black combination and that actually looked quite good.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
I don't think everyone has a black suit? It's the very last suit I bought and I've only worn it once.

I was referring to what the OP had said about the people in his wedding party... certainly everyone doesn't have a black suit... sorry about my poor wording

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearsfan172
I was referring to what the OP had said about the people in his wedding party... certainly everyone doesn't have a black suit... sorry about my poor wording

Ahh sorry - didn't read the OP's post correctly.

vincerich

Reaction score
How about:

You: Black TUXEDO?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching is not essential and I would suggest slightly more flamboyant ties to avoid giving the appearance of having turned up for a funeral - there again you may consider you have by giving up your freedom to holy deadlock.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
How about:

You: Black TUXEDO?

If its an evening wedding. Otherwise, Dinner Jackets aren't actually appropriate. The daytime equivalent is a stroller (Black or Oxford (really dark) Grey, Peak Lapel, single button, with cashmere striped trousers, buff (or light yellow/cream... light grey) waistcoat (vest) and a wedding tie). But that is "weird"... noone will "get it" - most people will think you're wearing a really formal sportscoat. Non matching is fine, its just a myth created by the rental industry.

Search for Manton's guide to wedding attire, it covers all of this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads