1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

??black suit???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafialesson, May 25, 2002.

1. mafialesson

mafialesson New Member

I was hoping to solicit some advice from people who apparently understand the nuances of men's fashion. My problem is that I recently took a job with the government in which I will have to wear suits/blazers. I have not been to the office that I will be working for, so I don't know if there's some type of 'uniform' everyone will be wearing. Right now the only suit I own is a nice 3button black suit. I bought it on supersale just recently for general job interviewing. The real thing is now that I will have the first day to meet the department heads, etc., to make a first impression. I was told that black is totally acceptable by today's standards for office suits, but I have my doubts. I am hoping to make a smooth transition from a suit to blazers and slacks( an obviously cheaper attire) as soon as I am integrated into the office. So, in the meantime I've got to make a decision to either wear the black suit the first day, or go out and spend money on a navy blue suit. If there's anyone who would have any subtle advice, I'd appreciate it.

(For background information: I've always worked in the sciences, so I never wore suits, etc. My job starts in the low 30s, so there's a possibility that many of my peer co-workers
    won't be going all out on the wardrobe).

2. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I've always considered a black suit as evening attire. [​IMG] Navy is more of an interviewing outfit. I believe that you could pull it off. People pull off navy as evening, so why can't the inverse be accomplished, right? Still, it will always do a man good to own more than one suit. More options (which sounds like it will be good for your position). So- splurge- go find a nice navy suit that you like and buy it for your own benefit. [​IMG] Hey, it could even be a tax write off. You bought it for the job search, right? hmmm, probably not. But I still think you ought to look around for an affordable suit.

3. davei

davei Senior member

Black seems a little severe to me, especially for starting out on a job. You don't want to be the new guy who's dressing above everyone - but then again, you don't want to be a slob (comparatively) either. I'd at least avoid a white shirt since you don't want to look like a waiter.

Go with the black, you can always lose the jacket if it's your first day and you look overdressed.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am in the sciences as well, and if my experience is anything to go by, scientists are by far the least style/fashion attuned people in the world. If you are dealing primarily with engineers and scientists, you could probably do fine wearing a 4-button cream suit (all four buttons done up) with a purple shirt and tie, and one of those curious chunky hybrids between an oxford lace-up and a work boot. I actually saw this outfit at a conference, albeit in the style mecca that is the former East Germany.

Having gotten that off my chest, a solid navy or charcoal suit might be more appropriate for the job and interview - black is principally for the evening.

Of course, if you are an architect, at least 90% of your attire should be black.