• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit options

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like black with taupe, bronze, or brown. Beige, as well.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I won't take it that far. Black is too drastic for just any color to look soigne, alongside it . . . so far as maintaining a taste level in men's clothing, is concerned. For women, there's more leverage. But personally, I prefer a neutral or slightly perverse, brown, with black. I've seen Saint Laurent do army green, with black, in women's suits. The effect was striking, to be sure.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love a brown suit with black shoes.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Manton . . .

I find brown and black, to be extremely chic. Slightly perverse, as well. My sister has a YSL rive gauche suit, in brown and black herringbone, with shots of scarlet. It is absolutely stunning. Fall / Winter, 1985.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it with a very rich chocolate brown shirt and some sort of dark charcoal tie (think Armani and you've got it).

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With black suits I like wearing very tame, simple colors for shirt.

And for the Tie, a very bold, sharp color.

For this combo, I found that a subdued color of the tie...think an average of the shirt and tie works well.

Black suits are great. Everyone should own one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I love a brown suit with black shoes.

I do not believe you and will require photographs as proof
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
everyone knows Manton only wears black shoes by day and brown suits by night.

Print ties however may be worn at anytime.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Isn't the point that almost any nice shirt and tie go with a good black suit. You could do some interesting socks and some non-black shoes.

Yes, that is what I do sometimes... shirt and socks lighten up the suit... but it would be hard to put on brown shoes with it...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
There is a good article about the black suit at http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...ck-suit-part-1
I liked that article. Actually, what is says basically appears to be true. I am one of those who like to dress substantially in black, and I think that part of it is basically about trying to be "hip" (I guess that that is also the reason for why I am not that fond of blue blazers). I work in a quite conservative environment, but with a certain liberty when it comes to dressing. I like to dress in black inter alia because no other men at the company do. However, I am not sure that I am doing the right thing (nevertheless, at present it does not seem to hurt my professional career).
By the way, some years ago I asked my shirtmaker for a black fabric, and he told me that "Please, do not misunderstand me, Sir, but today, only gypsies wear black shirts". (Explanation for U.S. readers: In Spain, gypsie style is not considered appropriate for business; also, political correctness appears to be a pending issue for Spanish shirtmakers).

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
"Please, do not misunderstand me, Sir, but today, only gypsies wear black shirts". (Explanation for U.S. readers: In Spain, gypsie style is not considered appropriate for business; also, political correctness appears to be a pending issue for Spanish shirtmakers).

Well I have a fitted black shirt made by Guglielminotti "Vintage Classic" model that is a clasic design with a sharp modern cut... and it looks wonderful at night! Me veo como un gitano, macho ! ... no I don't thik so really, but it is very nice... however... I never would wear black on black.. this looks like a priest to me...

xerxes1358

Reaction score
Can we start sharing some pictures of black suits worn during nights please. Some black suit examples would be nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics