• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black suit options

c55

Reaction score
I'm looking to spice up a black suit I will be wearing soon with some color in the shirt, pocket square, and tie. I usually wear a lavendar solid shirt with nice patterned tie, but I'm bored with that.

Anyone have any good photos of the black suit done well?

Thanks in advance.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost none of the participants in that thread are that old although that's beside the point. The point is that the occasion matters.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The point is that the occasion matters.
Yeah, they're best worn in the evening.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c55
Are you kidding...38 pages of posts, I scammed a few, but didn't see any photos...I don't want to read about 50 year old men discussing the "rules" of a black suit

But why do you want to wear a black suit during the daytime anyways?

c55

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan

Who said it was during the day or for business? This is for neither.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c55
Are you kidding...38 pages of posts, I scammed a few, but didn't see any photos...I don't want to read about 50 year old men discussing the "rules" of a black suit

You are entirely right! What kind of fool would read 38 pages of posts. Those 50 year old guys hardly know anything, anyway!. I can tell you definitively that a Black Suit should be worn with a selvedge denim shirt, and a leather tie! Classic Navy denim preferred, but Black denim would work. The leather tie must be Black.

I'll post a picture soon.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I am with Jovan in this..

I love the black suit elegance, I have 3 in wool ( 1 modern, 2 classic ), one in linen... but I never wear them during the day... only for nights out... ( happens that I go out at night quite often )

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
NYway, you've stumbled into a running forum joke, just to explain the response or lack thereof. I don't have moral problems with black suits, but I also don't have any pictures to contribute.

However, I don't think guidelines for wearing one (in terms of what colors go with, etc.,) are much different than for a really dark navy suit.

I think Soph was collecting black suit photos - maybe you can find his thread.

And welcome.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some ideas... black goes with anything... just be sure your skin tone and hair matches...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
... black goes with anything...

False! Black overpowers all colors around it, its one of the biggest problems with black suits.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]
False! Black overpowers all colors around it, its one of the biggest problems with black suits.

And of course this can be solved by wearing that shade of charcoal that comes just before black...

Ill say one thing about these forums, Ill never see th black suit in the same "light" again.

Went to my eye doctor last week and he was wearing a very nice black suit. Guy has a nice practice, went to a nice school and has a nice bedside manner. Too bad thats all gone down the drink now that he's worn a black suit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40