• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suit, Charcoal Shirt, What Color Tie and Pocketsquare?

envision

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been a long time lurker, but finally made an account because I need your help.
biggrin.gif

I just purchased a black suit and a charcoal gray dress shirt. I also bought a black, striped tie along with it, but I feel the entire ensemble might be too dark. Here are my questions.

Is the above a bad combo to go with?

Can I just switch tie colors and save the combination?

Do I have to take back the charcoal gray shirt as well and just go with something entirely different?

I'd appreciate your advice on pocketsquares too if you tell me a shirt and tie to go with.

This will be for a semi-formal dinner/show party I have to attend.

Thanks everyone in advance, your info is definitely much appreciated!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by envision
Hi guys. Been a long time lurker, but finally made an account because I need your help.
biggrin.gif

I just purchased a black suit and a charcoal gray dress shirt. I also bought a black, striped tie along with it, but I feel the entire ensemble might be too dark. Here are my questions.

Do I have to take back the charcoal gray shirt as well and just go with something entirely different?

I'd appreciate your advice on pocketsquares too if you tell me a shirt and tie to go with.

Lies wont make anyone like you more.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
This forum's pathological hatred of the black suit for anything other than a funeral aside, the outfit does seem a little on the dark side. The challenge however, is that generally your tie should be darker than your shirt, so aside from a black tie, there aren't many options with a charcoal shirt. If you're wearing it for a fun night out, maybe think of going open collar to create a more casual look.

envision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
This forum's pathological hatred of the black suit for anything other than a funeral aside, the outfit does seem a little on the dark side. The challenge however, is that generally your tie should be darker than your shirt, so aside from a black tie, there aren't many options with a charcoal shirt. If you're wearing it for a fun night out, maybe think of going open collar to create a more casual look.

Thank you for your response!

I would love to do that (as I hate wearing ties :p), but unfortunately, the tie is not optional. Is my only other option to go return the shirt and tie and go with more conventional choices?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, black suits are frowned upon here but there's nothing wrong with one, especially for a semi-formal/formal event in the evening.

However, wearing a charcoal shirt with a black suit probably isn't the best idea. You probably want some contrast between the shirt and suit. I would go with a lighter colored shirt. If you're stuck with the charcoal shirt, the best option might be to wear it open collar as someone else mentioned.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with sportin_life. If you want a dark shirt, I would go with a pinstripe / band stripe / check style to break it up a bit. Or go with a lighter coloured shirt if you want to stick with solid colours. If it is formal evening, you could also go with a tux style shirt.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only other think I can think of is an ultra-dark maroon or plum colored tie. Otherwise, I'd probably choose to pair the black suit with a plain white, lavender or pink shirt with a grey tie.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, black is very difficult to pair with other colors. Wearing it with a gray or silver shirt (in the evenings only) isn't a bad idea, but with a black tie the effect is too undertaker-for-the-mob.

If you want to stick with a black tie, might I suggest a light, solid pink shirt? This takes the edge off the black quite a bit.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditch the charcoal shirt. Get a shirt with a pin or a butcher stripe and introduce some color. Do not wear a black tie. If you are going for a somber look, bring in a grey tie. Glenplaid would also work.

Mike

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by envision
biggrin.gif

Lurk moar...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't ditch the black suit, then ditch the dark shirt; plain white will look much better though there's lots of other options too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads