1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black suit/brown shoes?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by vvoc, Jun 17, 2007.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

i just want to hear peoples opinions about wearing a black suit
    [​IMG]

2. Geste

Geste Senior member

i just want to hear peoples opinions about wearing a black suit with brown monkstraps? im assuming its a no no...how about a blazer blazer, jeans and brown monkstraps? thanks

I think the ONLY way to pull this off is that; if the shoes are brown wear a brown-belt (as close to the shoe hue if possible), a brown/ beige-toned shirt - and tie if appropriate. my 2 cents.

3. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Someone should throw up a picture of it working. I've never seen it work well.

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Interesting, I have the opposite view. I wear black jeans and dark brown boots occasionally and like it. I wouldn't wear light brown shoes and black pants however.

Raw black jeans tend to lend themselves to brown boots more easily as the denim often has a significant amount of indigo dye.

Most people would dress better if they would Goodwill everything they own that is black. I'm exaggerating, but my wardrobe is better for it.

5. escarole

escarole Senior member

No brown shoes with black pants.

this is just wrong.

you can pull it off easily, and i think it's a great look, just be sure to wear a brown belt (this should be obvious). contrast socks. i personally think a lighter tone brown looks very good with black.

it's also an interesting change of pace. the black/black deal is timeless and all that but can be boring as well.

6. escarole

escarole Senior member

I think the ONLY way to pull this off is that; if the shoes are brown wear a brown-belt (as close to the shoe hue if possible), a brown/ beige-toned shirt - and tie if appropriate. my 2 cents.

also wrong! you really don't want to get too "earthy" with it. a refreshing light blue looks great. white too. really anything neutral is going to look great. i dont know what 1/2 the people in this thread are talking about honestly. are we dressing for a funeral or something?

7. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

My thinking exactly. Brown shoes are great. The black suit is the problem. Other than tuxedos and undertakers black is out of order.

8. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Only way I can imagine it working is in a sprezzatura sort of way, like something from Satorialist. My guess is it can come off only one of two ways. Either you look like you don't know how to dress, or you look like you're trying too hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Andrew.Wall62

Andrew.Wall62 Member

Brown and Black aren't the best combination.

I'd stay away from it.

10. charliepaulsen

charliepaulsen Member

Esquire thinks this guy pulled off the brown shoes with the black suit well enough to be considered for the best dressed real man in America, and IMHO I think it looks pretty damn slick
    [​IMG]

11. julius12

julius12 Active Member

The rule of not mixing black with brown exists for a reason. Sure it can work, but at best I think it can look ok. Why settle for ok when you can have a great color combination by choosing a different color combo?

12. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

13. marg

marg Senior member

^^^not feeling the look. great shoes, horrible tux. the brown piping brings the shoes in well, but it's still brown piping. black and brown only looks good together on a doberman.

14. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    I love black with brown. Chocolate shoes with a black suit, fuck yah.

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

but what about merely a black blazer, jeans and brown shoes?

There's really nothing good about this combination.

16. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

Why not. Fuck it and go for it...

17. meso

meso Senior member

Why not. Fuck it and go for it...

All the pics so far have looked terrible.
    Brown shoes with jeans, sure.
    With formal black outfits? Not convinced.
    So far all these guys look like they want to put some kinda individualistic twist on the tux but fail miserably.