Black suit/brown shoes?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by vvoc, Jun 17, 2007.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Hah, so's my girlfriend.. so I'm Irish/Italian by insertion.

So your girlfriend straps one one?

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

Goddamnit.

No, no she doesn't. A strap-on would have no racial association at all (excluding a possible Made In China deal) so your assertion is fallacy!

3. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

Goddamnit.

A strap-on would have no racial association at all (excluding a possible Made In China deal) so your assertion is fallacy!

Are you sure?
    they come in different colors, you know.
    er...so I've heard.

4. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

brown? or tan? i think the light brown/tan looks fine...but yea no darker browns

I've seen black suits with tan shoes that looked pretty good. Also seen dark brown worn with blue suite.

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

brown? or tan? i think the light brown/tan looks fine...but yea no darker browns
    Interesting, I have the opposite view. I wear black jeans and dark brown boots occasionally and like it. I wouldn't wear light brown shoes and black pants however. This is yet another situation where you have to see the exact pants/shoes combo to pass judgment. Rigid rules don't help. If they did, someone could just print out a list of the rules off the internet and instantly be well dressed. It just doesn't work that way. I think we can all agree on that. EDIT: holy crap I just realized how old this thread is.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

i just want to hear peoples opinions about wearing a black suit
    [​IMG]

7. Geste

Geste Senior member

i just want to hear peoples opinions about wearing a black suit with brown monkstraps? im assuming its a no no...how about a blazer blazer, jeans and brown monkstraps? thanks

I think the ONLY way to pull this off is that; if the shoes are brown wear a brown-belt (as close to the shoe hue if possible), a brown/ beige-toned shirt - and tie if appropriate. my 2 cents.

8. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Someone should throw up a picture of it working. I've never seen it work well.

9. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Interesting, I have the opposite view. I wear black jeans and dark brown boots occasionally and like it. I wouldn't wear light brown shoes and black pants however.

Raw black jeans tend to lend themselves to brown boots more easily as the denim often has a significant amount of indigo dye.

Most people would dress better if they would Goodwill everything they own that is black. I'm exaggerating, but my wardrobe is better for it.

10. escarole

escarole Senior member

No brown shoes with black pants.

this is just wrong.

you can pull it off easily, and i think it's a great look, just be sure to wear a brown belt (this should be obvious). contrast socks. i personally think a lighter tone brown looks very good with black.

it's also an interesting change of pace. the black/black deal is timeless and all that but can be boring as well.

11. escarole

escarole Senior member

I think the ONLY way to pull this off is that; if the shoes are brown wear a brown-belt (as close to the shoe hue if possible), a brown/ beige-toned shirt - and tie if appropriate. my 2 cents.

also wrong! you really don't want to get too "earthy" with it. a refreshing light blue looks great. white too. really anything neutral is going to look great. i dont know what 1/2 the people in this thread are talking about honestly. are we dressing for a funeral or something?

12. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

My thinking exactly. Brown shoes are great. The black suit is the problem. Other than tuxedos and undertakers black is out of order.

13. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Only way I can imagine it working is in a sprezzatura sort of way, like something from Satorialist. My guess is it can come off only one of two ways. Either you look like you don't know how to dress, or you look like you're trying too hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Andrew.Wall62

Andrew.Wall62 Member

Brown and Black aren't the best combination.

I'd stay away from it.

15. charliepaulsen

charliepaulsen Member

Esquire thinks this guy pulled off the brown shoes with the black suit well enough to be considered for the best dressed real man in America, and IMHO I think it looks pretty damn slick
    [​IMG]