• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Suede Shoes?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't own any myself, but a while back I saw an older gent about town with a black suit and black suede captoes: dressed down somewhat, being a Saturday. Still, it was an interesting look, one that certainly earned my attention.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely.
devil.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I'd wear them with a black suit.

I think black suede shoes can be nice, but they're way down my list of shoes to own. There just aren't that many times I'd wear them. With a flannel prince of wales suit? Sure, but I don't own one...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of black suede shoes which I generally wear with grey or brown flannel or jeans. I do have a black flannel suit and with that I will occasionally wear chocolate brown suede shoes.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the black suede shoe with the black suit or pants. Black suede really doesnt say office (strangely, theyd work better with traditional black tie than with a work suit) and it mates nicely with black cloth for social purposes. If you wear a black suit to work, I would stick with black calf shoes, even in a willow or pebble grain finish.

I am assuming you dont work in a fashion forward industry of course.

http://www.moreschishoes.com/product...&pfid=MSC00014

I would hesitate before wearing brown suede, even dark brown suede, shoes with black pants, it very rarely looks right.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely.
devil.gif

Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....

Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?

Kenneth Cole shovel shoes are teh default footwear for a black suit these days. That is what I see a lot of "hip" people wearing.

If I was ever to sear black pants, which I would not, I would wear brown shoes with them.

Black suede looks bad to me.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff

I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.

To start a new collection???
devil.gif
devil.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
To start a new collection???
devil.gif
devil.gif

Eureka! Does anyone know where these things can be acquired?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.

Very well put.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics