• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Suede Shoes?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
31
Don't own any myself, but a while back I saw an older gent about town with a black suit and black suede captoes: dressed down somewhat, being a Saturday. Still, it was an interesting look, one that certainly earned my attention.
 

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Messages
12,113
Reaction score
5,169
Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely.
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
I don't think I'd wear them with a black suit.

I think black suede shoes can be nice, but they're way down my list of shoes to own. There just aren't that many times I'd wear them. With a flannel prince of wales suit? Sure, but I don't own one...
 

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,078
Reaction score
17
I have a couple of pairs of black suede shoes which I generally wear with grey or brown flannel or jeans. I do have a black flannel suit and with that I will occasionally wear chocolate brown suede shoes.
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
I really like the black suede shoe with the black suit or pants. Black suede really doesnt say office (strangely, theyd work better with traditional black tie than with a work suit) and it mates nicely with black cloth for social purposes. If you wear a black suit to work, I would stick with black calf shoes, even in a willow or pebble grain finish.

I am assuming you dont work in a fashion forward industry of course.

http://www.moreschishoes.com/product...&pfid=MSC00014

I would hesitate before wearing brown suede, even dark brown suede, shoes with black pants, it very rarely looks right.
 

thinman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,926
Reaction score
45
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely.


Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by thinman
Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....


Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,381
Reaction score
2,079
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?



Kenneth Cole shovel shoes are teh default footwear for a black suit these days. That is what I see a lot of "hip" people wearing.

If I was ever to sear black pants, which I would not, I would wear brown shoes with them.

Black suede looks bad to me.
 

thinman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,926
Reaction score
45
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?


I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
780
Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,381
Reaction score
2,079
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.


To start a new collection???
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
780
Originally Posted by iammatt
To start a new collection???


Eureka! Does anyone know where these things can be acquired?
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by thinman
I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.

Very well put.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
454,362
Messages
9,840,468
Members
205,264
Latest member
sydfsdfsdtf
Top