1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Suede Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, May 16, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Yay or ney with black suits?

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

Don't own any myself, but a while back I saw an older gent about town with a black suit and black suede captoes: dressed down somewhat, being a Saturday. Still, it was an interesting look, one that certainly earned my attention.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely. [​IMG]

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I don't think I'd wear them with a black suit.

I think black suede shoes can be nice, but they're way down my list of shoes to own. There just aren't that many times I'd wear them. With a flannel prince of wales suit? Sure, but I don't own one...

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I have a couple of pairs of black suede shoes which I generally wear with grey or brown flannel or jeans. I do have a black flannel suit and with that I will occasionally wear chocolate brown suede shoes.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

I really like the black suede shoe with the black suit or pants. Black suede really doesnt say office (strangely, theyd work better with traditional black tie than with a work suit) and it mates nicely with black cloth for social purposes. If you wear a black suit to work, I would stick with black calf shoes, even in a willow or pebble grain finish.

I am assuming you dont work in a fashion forward industry of course.

http://www.moreschishoes.com/product...&pfid=MSC00014

I would hesitate before wearing brown suede, even dark brown suede, shoes with black pants, it very rarely looks right.

7. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Roetzel states that the formality of black does not quite work with the informality of suede, and I agree completely. Brown suede only for me.

If you're wearing a black suit, that's another problem entirely. [​IMG]

Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....

8. Film Noir Buff

Agreed. I don't like black suede shoes and won't wear them, for the very reason you quote above. There are so many better choices than black suede....

Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Roetzel has a dated opinion that isnt shared by people/makers who believe black suede shoes look just fine with a dinner jacket, very similar to black velvet. Maybe its a regional thing. Also, when he wrote the book, Church's probably wasnt offering a black suede shoe in their collection and those who pay for history, write it..

I think also that the concept of black suede as a hip alternative was just taking root in Europe when he was writing this book. In fact, black suede had just become popular in NYC a few years before. He is still right about black suede shoes for most office and day situations in a black suit (or any other colored office suit) but for evening, black suede fits a much needed void when paired with a relaxed fabric black suit.

I dont wear a black solid suit for biz, nor would I wear black suede shoes. I consider tham a purely informal, social, evening or semi-formal (black tie) shoe.

After reading his book, the idea that Roetzel wouldnt have a casual side is I think correct.

Out of curiosity how many better choices than black suede are there for shoes to wear with a black suit?

Kenneth Cole shovel shoes are teh default footwear for a black suit these days. That is what I see a lot of "hip" people wearing.

If I was ever to sear black pants, which I would not, I would wear brown shoes with them.

Black suede looks bad to me.

10. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.

12. itsstillmatt

Well I guess I'm SOL on two accounts. I don't wear black suede shoes or black suits. I just can't think of a reason why I'd ever wear either.

To start a new collection???[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

To start a new collection???[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eureka! Does anyone know where these things can be acquired?

14. Film Noir Buff

I prefer any number of black or cordovan calfskin shoes rather than black reverse calfskin. For surface interest, I prefer some broguing (e.g. a punched captoe) to suede for black shoes in more casual situations. It may not be "hip", but I can live with that.

Very well put.

15. itsstillmatt

Eureka! Does anyone know where these things can be acquired?

Germany?