• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black streaks and spots on brown shoes?

detroiter

Reaction score
I have black spots and streaks on my allen edmonds brown shoes after polishing, and they wont go away. I used the allen edmonds shoe polish, but there are a few streaks and spots of black, that looks like caked in shoe polish maybe? how can i get rid of this black?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post photos.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called "patina", and it's part of the attraction of brown shoes.

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
It's called "patina", and it's part of the attraction of brown shoes.

Really?

I will post pics tomorrow sometime.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
Really?

I will post pics tomorrow sometime.

If it's what I'm thinking it is, yes. With browns, as you polish over time the scuffs and creases take color a little differently, and that textures the color of the shoe over time. Black shoes don't do that becuase there's no room for variation between dark and light, it's just a flat black.

If you stick around long, you'll find that patina is much desired on this forum, and antiquing, which is patina created artificially, and people pay extra for it.

You might browse this thread or do a few searches for patina and antiquing yourself: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=61011

Wideknot

Reaction score
PG is at least half right, unless you're regularly missing the great porcelain target. The black streaks are most likely scuffs from your other shoe. These can be removed, but I've found that it takes some aggressive action that sometimes causes more problems than it resolves. If you want to get rid of them, you could try some finger nail polish remover. It will strip the wax coating and the streak along with it. Once this is done, nourish the leather with a good leather treatment (Lexol is one, Saphir Renovateur is most often SF recommended, I use Kiwi) then repolish as normal. Frankly, unless they're really bad, I just keep polishing over these scuff marks and, as cptjeff remarked, in time they become part of the shoe's patina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics