• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Stain on Khaki Shorts?

George8

Reaction score
Someone else on a forum said i could try goof and said they used it for other things and that worked. Anyone know if that might possibly work here? They said its because i left it in water for so long, this happened.

Or should i just try the dawn dish washing soap or vinegar since i have that now and try that? I am so frustrated at this because these were my favorite pair of shorts and i cannot buy the exact ones i again. Would appreciate any advice on this if anyone been in this situation.

George8

Reaction score
Hey all. So last night i hand washed the shorts with detergent and hanged it on dryer. Then i looked at it now and it still has the stain so it doesn't look like it will come off.

I then took some dawn dishwashing liquid soap.. the blue one... and poured it on the stained spot... used a mini toothbrush and scrubbed on one part of the big stain then just sprayed some water on it and then right now i left it on a hanger for it to sort of dry... is that how i do this? I only want to try it on one spot though as you can see in the pic, those stain spots are throughout the back of the entire shorts. But how am i suppose to use the dawn liquid soap here? Pour it and rub it with toothbrush and then rinse? Do i soak it in a bucket? I have to mix some water with it right at least? I immediately used the dawn liquid soap because i was concerned a bit if the shorts fully dried... even though im using a hanger only and not a dryer... that the stain but be permanent if it was not already... but now im not sure if i did this correct with the dawn soap... or if i made it worst?

lfd75

Reaction score
Normally what I do is work the dish soap into the stain with a toothbrush, leave for at least 2 hours (sometimes overnight), then do a quick wash in the washer. I've done this to get grease and mayo off my favourite sweater. I would avoid using the dryer as it may set the stain. If that doesn't work maybe a dry cleaner will be able to get the stain out

George8

Reaction score
Normally what I do is work the dish soap into the stain with a toothbrush, leave for at least 2 hours (sometimes overnight), then do a quick wash in the washer. I've done this to get grease and mayo off my favourite sweater. I would avoid using the dryer as it may set the stain. If that doesn't work maybe a dry cleaner will be able to get the stain out

Thanks. Do you know how i can do this without a washer though?

So right now... the stain is still there. So when you say you leave it at least two hours or overnight... do you mean you just rub the dish soap into the stain and hang it on a hanger?

Again earlier what i did was pour the dish soap on the area... then rubbed it with toothbrush... then just sprayed the cold water from shower at it to and then sort of just squeezed the water out and the dish soap out and then let it dry... so that is the incorrect way right since that mean no dawn soap gets on it? So the only thing that could make the situation worst is just make sure never dry it in a machine right? Anything else... would still be fine?

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
Dawn supposedly removes crude oil from birds, so.....

The stain probably didn't come out. why trash a good pair of shorts over a stain?

A story: last summer, roughly ten months ago, our year-old dog broke her collar and sprinted into the path of a small sport utility vehicle. She was hit, a sight I would prefer to un-see, but escaped with a bruised chest and a nasty cut on a rear leg that needed stitches. I carried her halfway home, bleeding on a pair of khaki shorts that are 76% cotton and 24% hemp.

She recovered surprisingly quickly. The blood had a good 10 hours to set due to a visit to a local animal hospital, so the stains have never fully come out. I still have the shorts and still wear them. The stains have faded quite a bit through repeated wear and washing. They remind me to be extra-careful with the pup, as if a broken collar were anything one could anticipate.

We live in a time where clothing can be something of a throw-away. It doesn't need to be that way. If you can't wear them to a nice place, use them for hiking or yard work where the stains won't matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads