• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sport Coat with Medium Gray Slacks?

johnagarrett

Reaction score
Ok so I decided to step up my style and professionalism from kahkis and polo shirts and button ups to a more business wear clothing. This week I got out my black 4 button suit and it looks and fits good but maybe a little too formal for my everyday job. So tonight I bought a black 2 button sports coat and I am curious what color and style of pants to wear with it. I wore dark jeans and a button up with a black belt and shoes tonight and I looked good ! Needless to say I want to continue "Dressing Like A Man" I really felt good in it. I am deciding what to wear tomorrow to work.

I have a pair of medium gray slacks and a white button up dress shirt with me. Will my black sport coat compliment this outfit?

Thanks for the help men!

Alex C

Reaction score
Should be fine.

Though you'll probably get more comments on the black four button suit. Black suits are generally frowned upon for non funeral wear around these parts, let alone one with more than 2-3 buttons.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return it and get a navy/blue blazer or brown sport coat.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would swap the 4-button black suit for a 5-button black suit and wear that.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Return it and get a navy/blue blazer or brown sport coat.

+1

johnagarrett

Reaction score
So a Navy sport coat would be more appropriate. Is a black sport coat a faux paux (sp)?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is on SF
wink.gif
But seriously it looks better.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnagarrett
So other than a funeral, when is a black sport coat acceptible?

If you live in the world inhabited by the models of Dolce & Gabbana and Prada+Hugo Boss

johnagarrett

Reaction score
If I am hearing you correctly, black is only for funerals and formal events otherwise navy or other colors.......seriously?! I have always thought black looked sharp and polished.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first question would be: is it really black? I see many people selling things as black when they are actually charcoal and heck, I even recently bought a suit described as "black with white dots" that was actually a navy nail head.

So first, is it really black?

johnagarrett

Reaction score
It looks black to me. Holy crap is there really this much involved in dressing sharp. No wonder there's an abundance of slouches!
laugh.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnagarrett
So other than a funeral, when is a black sport coat acceptible?
A black velvet or black corduroy SB jacket might be a more suitable alternative for a casual jacket

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
delete

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat