• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shoes to be worn with denim, yea or nay? Other suggestions welcome.

southbound35

Reaction score
I know many don't prefer black shoes with denim and others don't like denim at all. Those opinions aside, any thoughts on these shoes to be worn with denim?

SFN6021_mn.jpg

Tibo

Reaction score
I'd wear those shoes with denim without a problem ... *if they were brown*
bounce2.gif

Frankly black shoes with denim are a big no-no for me...

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as the jeans aren't too heavy or distressed, the shoes will be fine. Other good possibilities might be chelsea boots or monks.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I have come to prefer brown shoes exclusively for casual wear, I just find them to be more versatile. That said, I would wear those, with say a dark jean, a navy almost charcoal one perhaps . . .

Slightly off topic but the one other thing that seems to bother me about loafers is that I don't want any sock showing, yet I don't want my pants (jean or other) to be wide at the hem. I currently don't have any loafers . . . well at least none that I wear . . .

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, brown seems to fit with the more rugged casualness of jeans. The only time I wear black is at night with black chealseas, and when it goes well with everything else.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shoes are ok for dark denim.

I typically wear black at night with dark denim and brown with lighter denim. My current preference is for either a black chelsea (crappy Bruno Magli's, but they fit and I only paid $37 for them new) or a black half commando sole algonquin toe monkstrap (AE cornell). Generally, I wouldn't wear something sleek with denim (my chelsea comes with an extended sole).

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares if they are black, they are penny-loafers. Loafers with jeans!!!
Is it only me who thinks it is an ultimate dorkiness?

sloaney

Reaction score
blue/navy + black is only tolerable in the uk

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with black shoes and denim so long as the denim is on the black side of the fence (though I prefer a very dark brown casual shoe). The problem I have is what someone else pointed out: the shoes are penny loafers.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
blue and black is fine of course, blue and brown stands out more though

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about loafers, but at night I wear my black RLPL Camdens to good effect with jeans.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wore slim cut dark denims, black polo and pair of black Zegna bluchers last night on a trip to a strip joint.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads