• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Shoe Suggestions?

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Crockett & Jones Aintree:
Aintree.jpg

- B

Here's a pair of mine [non C&J] that fits the bill. Looks familiar?
teacha.gif

93572550.jpg

- M

newuser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
In a mid-priced RTW shoe for the dual purpose that you describe, I would go with a three eyelet derby in a sleeker last, such as a Crockett & Jones Aintree:

Aintree.jpg

- B

I like these shoes, but there a little out of the range I'd like to spend.

Is there something similar to these that are closer to a $150 price tag?

Thanks,

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something extra-appealing about these to me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Brooks Brothers has a Pebble Grain Long Wing which I feel is a nice balance. I never see it online but I see it in some of the stores.

Given the choice I would avoid the black and go for a brown or cordovan.

A shell longwing would be my choice. I, too, would recommend #8 or Cigar for versatility, but black is not a bad choice either.

dst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Here's a pair of mine [non C&J] that fits the bill. Looks familiar?
teacha.gif
93572550.jpg
- M

Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys!
smile.gif
Judging by the shoes displayed, I am probably after something more casual then. These above are similar to my 'formal' shoes lol After looking around I have found these below, now I am not necessarily wanting these but something similar in that they're not sneakers but still pretty casual that wouldnt look out sorts worn with nice jeans, a shirt etc... at night
dscf9572.jpg

dst

Reaction score
actually the more i look at those I posted above, the more i like!

Might go on the hunt for something similar, just not sure where to find them in Sydney lol !

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by newuser
I like these shoes, but there a little out of the range I'd like to spend.

Is there something similar to these that are closer to a $150 price tag?

Thanks,

I hear ya on not having hundreds to drop on a pair of shoes. Take a look at Aldo, Johnston and Murphy, and Bostonian. Also take a look at stores like Sears, Macy's, etc. Ordering online is easy, but a pain ********** if you get the wrong size and have to ship it back. Nothing beats going into a store and trying them on. Decently made good looking shoes can last a while if you take care of them. My dad has had the same set of Bostonians for 6 or 7 years I think, maybe more and they didn't cost more than $150.

David Watts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Label King would say chelsea boots, and while I don't have any and probably never well, I have to say, they are probably ideal for the use you want to make of them.

Why Doc did not come along to suggest them I have no idea, I hope he has not been in a car accident.

Don't forget the Cuban heels...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
opII-26.jpg

opII-21-1.jpg

casual:

gk9.jpg

ddoonie

Reaction score
As someone mentioned earlier, can anyone suggest any makers that sell 'nicely' styled shoes at a price point under 200? I've only been able to find Magnanni, but there is little info about them on the board...

Any input would be much appreciated, as I'm looking for two pairs at the moment, and nothing in my size is popping up in the buy/sell board.

thanks again

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something extra-appealing about these to me.

Funny. I was going to comment that those are some extra-ugly shoes.

Additionally, I don't get love for pebble grain. Those sorts of shoes look like they have some sort of disease.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Funny. I was going to comment that those are some extra-ugly shoes.

I think they look great, and even better looking when worn. First day I wore them to work I got a compliment from my boss.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ddoonie
As someone mentioned earlier, can anyone suggest any makers that sell 'nicely' styled shoes at a price point under 200? I've only been able to find Magnanni, but there is little info about them on the board...

Any input would be much appreciated, as I'm looking for two pairs at the moment, and nothing in my size is popping up in the buy/sell board.

thanks again

Like I said, you can get by with companies like Bostonian, Aldo, etc, if you take care of them. Obviously they're not going to last you as long as a pair of Ferragamo Tramezzas or Lobbs, or a bespoke shoe. But if you're tight on cash, there's no shame in dropping by Macy's and picking up a set of Johnston and Murphy's or a Nunn Bush. They still look decent but without breaking the bank. And honestly, nobody is going to take note of whether your shoes are bespoke or not, nobody is going to take your shoe off and look inside it to see who made it. As long as they look good and they're comfortable, that's what matters. When I was in High School I made do with shoes from Payless but i dreamed of Ferragamo. I made do with what I could get, and more often than not, it looked great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads