• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shirts

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I'm guessing they're bouncers. Friend of my fiancee runs an company of bouncers and security personnel. They all look like that.
No, they are gangsters. The shoes are too nice, some are too old, etc. I would guess Eastern Europe, the Balkans some former USSR republic, probably around the Black Sea region, Caucasus, etc. They look a little provincial. I would also guess the picture is taken within the past 5 years or so.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
A black dress shirt is never acceptable.

Balloney- what you really mean is you can't pull it off... (nor can I, nor most others...) but some do very well by it:

st_Clooney_narrowweb__300x347,0.jpg

george-clooney-org.jpg

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's an older guy trying to look younger - with success. That doesn't mean everyone can pull that off. Moreoever, what tie can he really wear with this one? I can't think of any.

Chigu

Reaction score
So then why do people make black dress shirts???

It depends on the person, you can definitely pull it off with a grey suit. If you're young and go to a wedding reception you can wear the all black on black, with a really funky tie. I don't recommend that black on black for business though.

If a black shirt was REALLY that bad, they wouldn't sell em...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
That doesn't mean everyone can pull that off.

I believe I just said that.

My point is- this is style we're talking about, there are no absolutes... so to say "never" is silly.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chigu

This argument falls down as soon as you look at the whole host of other awful crap that people continue to buy...

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chigu
So then why do people make black dress shirts???

It depends on the person, you can definitely pull it off with a grey suit. If you're young and go to a wedding reception you can wear the all black on black, with a really funky tie. I don't recommend that black on black for business though.

They make them because people buy them. The same can be said for white leather skinny ties, black polyester suits and square-toed "dress" shoes.

Just because you CAN buy something doesn't mean you OUGHT TO buy it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
This argument falls down as soon as you look at the whole host of other awful crap that people continue to buy...

SO his point really is true though- if THE GENERAL PUBLIC, thus the mass market thought it was bad, they wouldn't. The .001% who are as anal about fashion as we are don't count
wink.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
He's an older guy trying to look younger - with success. That doesn't mean everyone can pull that off. Moreoever, what tie can he really wear with this one? I can't think of any.

Yes, Clooney seems to have nailed it!

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
No, they are gangsters. The shoes are too nice, some are too old, etc.

I would guess Eastern Europe, the Balkans some former USSR republic, probably around the Black Sea region, Caucasus, etc. They look a little provincial. I would also guess the picture is taken within the past 5 years or so.

Very good guesses. They're Bulgarians, I think the photo is from the 1990s. That's the late Georgi Iliev and his associates.

Not that I'm an expert on mobs or anything. I just think the pigeons make it a great photo.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Yes, Clooney seems to have nailed it!

... and nailed half the chicks in Hollywood.

The rest of us have zero chance of either.

Musketer

Reaction score
Great, now I can put the black shirt next to patent leather belt as expensive presents that can never be used.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
With a suit, no, but it would go well with a grey blazer and dressy jeans for a casual look.
+1. This guy knows what he is talking about.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
My point is- this is style we're talking about, there are no absolutes... so to say "never" is silly.
+1

The hatred of black clothing is way overdone here.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Balloney- what you really mean is you can't pull it off... (nor can I, nor most others...) but some do very well by it:

st_Clooney_narrowweb__300x347,0.jpg

george-clooney-org.jpg

I think the black dress shirt looks great in both pictures. I've added an additional with a gray suit. It could be that only George Clooney can pull it off.

I disagree with Kas that he's a older man trying to look young. He's definitely not using Just for Men.

george-clooney.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads