1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

black shirt + tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Teen_Suit_Wearer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JonasAberg

JonasAberg Well-Known Member

This.:nodding:

In my humble opinion, men's clothing is more about subtle details than about the overt extravagance that can be found in women's clothing.
    Just having a suit tailored to fit you perfectly elevates the outfit significantly. People may not actively notice it, they just know you look good, better than most men who just buy a suit off the rack, slap on any tie and call it a day.

A lot of people are so concerned with "showing their individuality" and ignoring the traditional that if you follow the "rules" it is almost a guarantee that you will stand out, certainly more than the black shirt, light tie combo (around here a lot of people graduating sport this look).

2. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Black shirt and tie just wouldn't make the suit stand out. You'll probably get stared at for the wrong reasons.

3. MelchiorSon

MelchiorSon New Member

I totally agree, some people (like myself) can pull of wearing black shirts and many more can as well, but because of the "experts" on this site who nag and bicker about the "dreadfulness" no one dares to try and where black dress shirts. I wear black shirts often and I am complimented regularly on the style that I have. Gentlemen we no longer live in the 50s get over it. (No offence to the 1950s, I adore the era)!

4. rengler22

rengler22 Well-Known Member

Lol

5. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Call me crazy but I don't think people don't wear black shirts because of what the "experts" on this site say [​IMG]

Out of curiosity, does this complimented style of yours include a tie with the black shirt?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

The black shirt was very popular in the 1920's and '30s, particularly in Italy; Mussolini popularized the black shirt there, and the trend lasted for about 20 years, coming to an abrupt and well-deserved end.

7. joe4u

joe4u Well-Known Member

you want the details of the suit and you to stand out, when you wear black shirt and tie, the suit loses its brilliance.

8. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Wore a black button down with a black Armani black label linen sport coat, red j brand Kane's and black suede chukkas. it was a casual look but I received a lot of positive feedback. The more conservative folks will not like, but I felt as if it was a win, honestly.

I think the look worked because of the contrasts and also the highly tailored and "italian" linen coat.

That said, I'd never sport all black.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  9. Mensfashionnoob

Mensfashionnoob New Member

Comin back to this thread in need of some answers. [​IMG]
    Would a jacket like this work well with a black shirt, no tie? If so, on what occasions would an outfit like this be suitable? Also, black slacks or matching grey?

10. mnj201

mnj201 Member

a two button notch lapel solid charcoal grey suit and solid black shirt (not satin) with no tie are fine for nighttime dress. it only makes you look like the nokia guy at the mall if they're sagging off your body or overly slim fitting. and don't wear kenneth cole square toed shoes like the lackeys at the stock firm in season two of the sopranos.