1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

black shirt + tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Teen_Suit_Wearer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

See how he is smacking himself on the head? That is because he realized he looks like an idiot.

1 person likes this.
  2. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

That was the easy reply I was waiting for the moment I found the pic. Maybe it's the peer pressure that makes you all say it looks bad even though some of you secretly wish you could pull it off?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

I was wearing smartass tees to work not even a month ago. I assure you that you don't sound patronizing at all. I have lots to learn.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I wouldn't think so. I suspect many of us have a black shirt hanging in their back of our closets somewhere, but now that we have a better training, can no longer find an application for it (certainly along with a tie). Out on the street, nobody would blink twice at it, but it just looks bad once you know how to process the effect.

There is a reason, in terms of the visual effect, that many restaurants have their staff dress in that fashion. It is not because of how fashionable and sauve it makes them look.

For that matter, few people here would ever recommend wearing a tie without a jacket. With the black shirt approach, you could only really wear a black jacket and then you're just exacerbating all the issues further.

5. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Well, for a guy who used to wear nothing but black this is quite depressing to read. I need to always have something black or at least dark enough in my attire in order to feel comfortable.

6. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Sorry... double post.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

They certainly do not. Every remotely formal dress-code requires a white shirt, dark/black shirts are not the least bit formal and should not be seen outside of nightclubs (and ideally not even then).

8. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

You just might find yourself being the singer of an English "goth chick" garage band, and get laid a whole lot.

[​IMG]

But then again, you most likely will not.

9. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Senior member

Black shirts are really only worn by doormen, members of dubious political organizations, and the clergy.

In the 1960s some Church of England clergy of a liberal persuasion replaced the Rome collar with a black shirt and white tie. Alec Vidler, Dean of King's College, Cambridge, (shown here) was well known for the style.

[​IMG]

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ironically, he looks like a Satanist.

11. malat

malat Senior member

Will Smith seems to do it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Such a sad comment. Mens' dress code is so strict and boring. I wish we were as open minded as the ladies in this respect. This is exactly why I'm only coming around to the suit and tie world just now instead of five years ago.

13. Sanguis Mortuum

14. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Cut me some slack, at least I'm trying to embrace the sartorial world, unlike most of my peers at work [​IMG]

15. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

Friend of mine genuinely got mistaken for barstaff whilst wearing a black shirt and suit (I've tried to change his ways. Alas but to no avail) is that a situation you even want to risk happening?

SergioFM - your day has come - go forth and be free (Post pics please).

[​IMG]

16. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

Actually this threat is about black shirt and any color tie, not black shirt and black suit. In fact after doing some reading here in the forum I've been educated on the fact that your suit and shirt must be of different colors in order to have the contrast that creates the v-shape in the chest area. I accept this and I won't be wearing black suits with black shirts. Still, I don't see why wearing a gray suit would be OK with a white shirt and black tie combo and NOT OK with a black shirt and white tie combo since the contrast is maintained in both cases.

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

The contrast is maintained, but switching the light and dark components is not without consequences. White shirt+black tie makes the tie like an arrow leading the observer's eye to the face (a good thing). The white tie doesn't really do the same thing, at least for me. Instead it attracts attention to the white tie/black shirt themselves (here in reference to a tie I'm using "white" as a stand in for really any light color, although some of these can be more successful than others).

18. SergioFM

SergioFM Active Member

I agree. I was merely stating the point that if the blazer isn't black then it should be OK for the shirt to be black if one so wishes. Personally if I was to use a gray suit and black shirt I would use a medium blue or purple tie.

19. Sanguis Mortuum

No.

20. joeman

joeman Senior member

For me, it's fine to wear black shirt with a dark suit as long as the tie is of a different color.