Black Shell Cordovan Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rocker, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

Ah, well ain't I jes ignorent. Thanks.

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

Kai -- this will be my next pair of Alden's I think. I believe this model is exclusive to Carmel? What's the sizing like compared to other Aldens? Thanks. H.

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Horace- I recommend you should go on the alden of carmel website to see the online viewing of the various alden fan shoes. You can email your questions to adam knott. This shoe you would need to order a half size larger

4. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

I own several pairs of cordovan shoes and will buy more. Virtually indestructable, which is important to a klutz like me that nicks his shoes all the time in planes and cabs. The blacks turn a greyish that I like and emphasize with some green polish mixed into the black now and then.

But be warned: they wear hot--they are just not as breathable as leather. It goes without saying you need shoe trees. Also, I have had my corodovans stretch quite a bit in the width. I think I remember Rider telling me it was inferior materials, but I've had the problem with AEs and Lidforts, too.

5. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

The owner (now retired) of a trad shop here in Atlanta, who sold thousands of pairs of Aldens, over many years, once told me that the deep secret at Alden was that not all cordovan came from horses. He said some was mule. Has anyone else heard this?

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No. I'm shocked. I assume they only used the horse half of the mule ...

7. Rocker

Rocker Well-Known Member

Hmmm, makes you wonder where the shell cordovan from the Japanese supplier, mentioned earlier, comes from? I'm not aware that there are a large number of horses or mules in Japan (I could be wrong). Bow wow.

8. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Hmmm...have not heard that before, but I wonder if it would matter? As long as the material performs as advertised, I would'nt know the difference. I do know that much 'kangaroo' is actually Wallabee, so I would not be surprised, although I would trust Horween's information.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have been vaguely aware that mules were also a source of cordovan. I'll discuss this with my pal Greg Kramer, who buys a lot of horsehide from Horween, and report back to the forum if I learn anything interesting. I can only imagine that the mule population (at least in the developed world) has plummeted relative to the horse population since they are so seldom employed as draft animals nowadays.

An amusing anecdote: Some years back I was at the San Fernando Valley Fair. There were some mules in a pen, and a nice city lady said to her toddler, "Oh, Timmy, look at the horsies." I couldn't resist myself and in the best rustic accent I could affect said, "Lady, them's mules."

10. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ever seen the navy? Do you know any maker who uses it?

11. mialpa

mialpa New Member

12. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can see it now. A guy brings his shoes back to Brooks Brothers: 'I'd like to return these. When you sold them to me I was under the impression that they were from a horse's ass. These shoes are just ass.'

13. jcusey

not all cordovan came from horses. He said some was mule. Has anyone else heard this?
    I can see it now. A guy brings his shoes back to Brooks Brothers: 'I'd like to return these. When you sold them to me I was under the impression that they were from a horse's ass. These shoes are just ass.'
    Don't give up your day job, A Harris. [​IMG]

14. jcusey

That's a pretty sharp-looking shoe, mialpa, both because of the color and the shape of the toe. Is that the new Rain last that I've been hearing about?

The Albaladejo double monkstrap model would look great in that color shell cordovan and on that last, I would think.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'm not sure I would wear a green shoe (or, to be perfectly accurate, I am pretty sure I wouldn't wear one). with what, and to where, do you wear a green oxford?