• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Shell Cordovan Shoes

Rocker

Reaction score
I have a pair of recently re-soled black calfskin wingtips. I'm not real big on full brogue style shoes, in general. In any case, I have an option to buy a pair of black Shell Cordovan wingtips for a relatively moderate price, which, if they were brown, I would have already ordered and would be in transit to me. My question is - other than being more durable, is there any advantage to black shell cordovan? I do already have a pair of black shell cordovan in another style, but have not had them for long. Does the Black cordovan develop any patina alike the Brown does, with age?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've never owned black cordovan, for precisely the reason you mention.  I have seen them, however, and to my eye they don't develop quite the same patina.  So durabilty would be the main reason, in my view.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, if they're a "modest" price, i.e., 25% or more below retail, i would buy them, simply for the durability and ease of care (i find that you don't have to polish shell cordovan as often). plus, shell cordovan is getting harder to find on sale, since it appears that less of it is made each year. but i guess it depends on whether you would wear the shoes - some of my worse shoe or clothing purchases have been items i've bought dramatically below retail, or even below wholesale, that i never really used... (but they were on sale. etc...)

Rocker

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered the damn things. $300 for new Alden black cordovan wing tips made on the plaza last for Brooks Brothers. I figured I'd turn my other wingtips into confirmed foul weather shoes. I rationalized it by using your argument, NoVaguy, cordovan leather has got to be getting more and more scarce - might as well grab them while I can.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A well cared for shell cordovan shoe will last pretty much forever. Black shell cordovan shoes develop an nice patina with age, they don't require polishing as often, and they have a reflective shine that is different (and I think more handsome) than calfskin. The creasing effects that the shoes develop over time (the creases lighten slightly) also add interesting character to the shoes.

I'm wearing black shell cordovan shoes (Alden of Carmel's Norwegian split toes) as I type this.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Genuine Shell Cordovan is alive and well - saw more of it than ever at the show in Italy last month. I detailed a Borgioli shoe with it (plain toe blutcher on Norwegian construction) and just received the swatch card of available colors for custom/special order shoes. Horween is shipping Black, Burgundy (the classic), Navy, Dark Brown, Honey, and Cognac currently. Adam Knott has some real homeruns in this material in his shop.

FCS

Reaction score
Actually, Genuine Shell Cordovan is alive and well - saw more of it than ever at the show in Italy last month.  I detailed a Borgioli shoe with it (plain toe blutcher on Norwegian construction) and just received the swatch card of available colors for custom/special order shoes.  Horween is shipping Black, Burgundy (the classic), Navy, Dark Brown, Honey, and Cognac currently.  Adam Knott has some real homeruns in this material in his shop.
That's really good to hear. Btw, when I spoke to an AE representative in the beginning of this year, she mentioned that AE also sourced their shell cordovan leather (about 7% or so) from a Japanese maufacturer.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE also sourced their shell cordovan leather (about 7% or so) from a Japanese maufacturer.

This was true, but now they use Horweens' tannages. For awhile, A/E felt like Horween was 'freezing' them out in favor of Alden, but this was worked out. Interesting story - apparently Alden fired their representative in Germany (which is a very large chunk of the shell cordovan business) and attempted to bring this in-house. Allen Edmonds has a dedicated German rep and he was able to take over quite alot of this business, including the largest shoe chain in Germany which is Goertz. Maybe this is why Horween quickly re-supplied A/E.

I specifically detailed shell cordovan from Horween, as I understand from people that know more than I that they are the best.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I only know 'cordovan' as a color... what's "black cordovan"?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Cordovan is a type of leather that comes from the rump of a horse.  It's not the skin per se, but a membrane (or something) under the skin but above the muscle.  I think.

It is traditionally tanned with a formula of chrome salts and vegetable dyes, which yields a very rich and varied burgundy color.  It can also be tanned other colors, like black or brown.  Burgundy is the most popular color, I believe, because many shoe aficianados believe that burgundy calf looks cheap and phony compared with burgundy cordovan.  I know I do.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my dad has black Alden Cordovans and they are his favorite pair of shoes

kidkim2

Reaction score
I have always assumed that the point of shell cordovan is that it polishes to a unique gleaming sheen. The Frisco Alden store, recognizing this, exhibits its shell cordovans in a back-lit case reminiscent of jewelry displays.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
traditionally tanned with a formula of chrome salts and vegetable dyes

No, straight veg tanned, then stuffed with oils (hotstuffed). Aniline finished to provide the colors, after tannage the color of the hide is neutral...tanish. Great leather - artisan in it's production as most of the process is hand done.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No, straight veg tanned, then stuffed with oils (hotstuffed).  Aniline finished to provide the colors, after tannage the color of the hide is neutral...tanish.
Interesting. I read that bit about chrome salts in a book.

Why does cordovan take to burgundy so much better than calf does?

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that bit about chrome salts in a book.

most leathers ARE tanned with chromium salts, along with many other ingredients. Just not shell cordovan. Chrome tanning is done in 1 day; vegtable tanning in 1 month.

As for color, I think shell cordovan holds all the colors very well. Remember, it's not a hide so there is no grain, it's fiberless. This is why it's so durable and waterproof naturally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads