• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Polka dot tie for funeral?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not small Polka Dots... medium sized. Wearing it with a charcoal suit and white shirt. I know that is ok but is the tie appropriate for a funeral? medium Polka Dots always seemed a little playful to me.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Me too. Pindots close to each other would be better. Still, if it's your most sober tie, it's probably your best bet. It's amazing what people wear to funerals these days: miniskirts, pastel pants, explosive patterns. You'll still look subdued.

Now's as good as any time to get solid black grenadine.

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
What's wrong with white linen in TV fold? If anything, against charcoal, black, and white, it makes the ensemble more sober IMO. Plus, the polka dots will look less explosive than against the white shirt and the charcoal chest of the coat.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be wearing a white linen square with a "T.V. fold". That wont be changing. However I am off to go buy a simple black tie. Thanks guys

F. Corbera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's wrong with white linen in TV fold? If anything, against charcoal, black, and white, it makes the ensemble more sober IMO. Plus, the polka dots will look less explosive than against the white shirt and the charcoal chest of the coat.

It's not a question of wrong or right, but more of the extent to which one is willing to test the sophistication of an audience that is likely to range from the truly bereaved to the mildly obligated.

As for the tie itself, these days, with a charcoal suit I think a dark solid tie in another color also is better than a spotted black tie is for a funeral in most circles...say, a solid dark blue. (emmanuel, if you don't have such a tie, it is worth buying one.)

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Ok, FC, though I really don't think people are bothered by a white linen TV fold when worn with a charcoal suit, white shirt, and dark sober tie. IMO, it's when other items are conspicuous that white linen TV starts looking conspicuous.

I agree that solid dark navy would be perfectly suitable for the occasion, and useful later. Either that or the solid black would be perfect.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with polka dot tie or pocket square.

Funerals no longer demand a uniform and indeed my instructions to my Trustees demand they tell people NOT to wear black.

emc894

Reaction score

I will be wearing a white linen square with a "T.V. fold". That wont be changing. However I am off to go buy a simple black tie. Thanks guys

I think that is a little jaunty for a funeral, but I have seen it before from people I respect.

F. Corbera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funerals no longer demand a uniform and indeed my instructions to my Trustees demand they tell people NOT to wear black.

I think that your instructions are unnecessary given that mood is bound to be celebratory in your case.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with polka dot tie or pocket square.

This may apply for secular funerals but not for many religions.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.