• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Pinstripe What Color Vest

powers.sm

Reaction score
I have a RLBL black pinstripe that I would like to pair with a gray flannel (slight herringbone) vest. Is this workable?

I got the suit tailored and its still a bit big in the chest; so, I am thinking that I can live without the skin-tight look I prefer, if I can throw a vest on underneath. I should probably just have them take in the chest again, but, I don't want to wait another three weeks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by powers.sm
I have a RLBL black pinstripe that I would like to pair with a gray flannel (slight herringbone) vest. Is this workable?

I got the suit tailored and its still a bit big in the chest; so, I am thinking that I can live without the skin-tight look I prefer, if I can throw a vest on underneath. I should probably just have them take in the chest again, but, I don't want to wait another three weeks.

I don't think it would look horrible, but it is not the best choice. I would post pictures to get people's opinions of the jacket without the vest to see if it is indeed too big. My guess is it is ok as a vest doesn't add that much girth at all.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three weeks to take the chest in? Why?

Definitely tailor it again if it still looks big. As for the vest, dont do it, IMO.

Good luck

powers.sm

Reaction score
I had it done at the Mansion and thats how long they had it the first time. I would go back, because I hope that I wouldn't have to pay a second time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by powers.sm
I had it done at the Mansion and thats how long they had it the first time. I would go back, because I hope that I wouldn't have to pay a second time.

You definitely don't have to go to the mansion for something like that. I would only go there if I was getting a MTM suit.

powers.sm

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera available. But, if I may describe the fit: it fits well in the waist, but under the arm there is a bit of a bulge, especially if I move my arms forward. It has a pretty deep gorge and wide lapels, which made one of the folks at RL say that I shouldn't slim it down anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 41 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 82 31.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 18 6.8%