• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Pebblegrain - Oxymoron? (Alden & Peal)

Newlaw

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a more casual black shoe with a pebble grain texture. I'm a little worried that I will like the shoes "in theory," but then struggle with occasions to wear them. Seem too casual for a suit, but maybe would work well jeans... though I rarely wear black shoes with jeans. Do you guys own any black pebble grain shoes? If so, what do you wear them with and on what occasions? http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=61 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of black sctoch grain wingtip boots on order from Ron Rider. They are really high with a buckle and commando sole. They are for poor weather with suits. I wanted something functional, sporty, but also elegant as well. I feel that the stamping of the leather to make it a scotch grain, or pebble grain seals it off a bit and it is a bit more durable against moisture.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Brooks Brother/Alfred Sargent chukkas in black pebble-grain with a dainite sole. When the weather is bad (I have 12 inches of snow to shovel right and it's being topped with freezing rain as I type this), I wear it with suits & sportcoats - although I think they look best with sportcoats. If you live in a part of the country with bad weather, it's almost impossible to conform to all the "rules". The BB shoe you linked to is a nice shoe and would probably be a nicer shoe than almost anyone else around you is wearing. I wouldn't wear them with my most formal suits, but they would work with a tweed, flannel, or any heavier suiting fabric.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.