Black Pants: I actually mistook someone for a waiter today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FidelCashflow, May 10, 2009.

1. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I went to a charity dinner today as a volunteer. I needed cutlery and I asked the first guy I saw wearing the waiter's uniform (white dress shirt, black pants)... after about 2 seconds I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest. [​IMG]

2. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet - guess it just doesn't suit some skin tones.[​IMG]

troop

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I was in a higher end store today and saw a reasonably well dressed, but very stylish woman. We looked at each other and simultaneously asked "do you work here?"

It was good stuff.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet
    Such silliness.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet - guess it just doesn't suit some skin tones.[​IMG]

troop

You cannot be a big timer, if you dress like a small timer. [​IMG]

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

My very best pants is a pair of black gabardine pants actually.
    I can assure you I don't look anything like a waiter when I dress it up.

7. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

I went to a charity dinner today as a volunteer. I needed cutlery and I asked the first guy I saw wearing the waiter's uniform (white dress shirt, black pants)... after about 2 seconds I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest. [​IMG]

Well did he carry himself like a waiter? I often wear a white shirt and black plants but don't get mistaken for a waiter...and I'm black!

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

This happened to one of my friends at a charity ball. Being the bigger man, he acknowledged the request, went to look for a "real" waiter to get the 2 extra glasses of wine requested, handed it over to the guy, bid him good evening and then went about his routine. Saved a whole lot of embarassment for both parties.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Some people do think something that I'm a sale assistant in dessigner shopswhen I'm wearing my navy blue suit without a tie...
    Not a question of colour but maybe people's perception after all ..
    Nothing to be offended by because after all these profesions are wearing elegant combos to work..

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

Careless - how carefully did you look or was this an innate prejudice against this attire? Frankly it is NOT an easy mistake to make.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is an easy mistake to make...If the person is wearing black trousers and a dress white shirt , there is nothing wrong mistaking him for a maitre d'Hotel or a waiter...
    He will be only offended if he shares your vision of this state of affairs...
    If you're comfortable with yourself and confident ,you're not going to give a scoubidoo about looking like a waiter..

12. Spats

Spats Senior member

I'm often mistaken for a WalMart greeter...

13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

The whole key to this is context. I'm a designer, and therefore almost expected to wear a black suit when meeting with clients. But I sure as heck wouldn't wear black suit / white dress shirt at an event; you are just asking to be confused with waitstaff.

14. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

Looks like I overdress as a waiter.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Some people are expected to wear black suits as Unrefinery rightly said..
    If you're a designer , working in advertising , architecture or a creative field, wearing black is not seen as a fashion faux-pas but more as a statement...
    Even world presidents and prime ministers are wearing black nowadays, some people must get a grip woth it...
    I prefer myself to wear colours as close to black as possible and i never wear wear black except at funerals...