• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Black Oxford - Loake or Loding

Psmith

Reaction score
First post after years of lurking...

I have a number of weddings to attend this year, and have decided that it is time to invest in a black toe cap oxford. I don't want to spend too much a) because I'd prefer to spend the money on brown shoes and b) with a baby on the way I'm saving for tiny C&Js!

At the moment, I've narrowed it down to the Herring Knightsbridge (Loake 1880 [http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0]) and the Loding Nevisa (http://www.loding.fr/en_16_shoes_ric...anoir_en.html). I quite liked their Regentry, but it's out of stock in my size, which may be just as well, as it's less of a classic staple. The Loding shape has, perhaps, a little more pizzazz - this matters to my wife who is prejudiced against plain toe cap oxfords because her father wears them!

The cost of getting the shoes is as close to identical as makes no matter. Now, I have done searches, and found a few discussions of Loding's quality. However, I was really hoping that some authoritative gent would be able to break the tie here.
Thoughts? Reflections?
Thanks!

Claus

Reaction score
I have a pair of Knightsbridge and I like them very much. To me, the shape has a near perfect balance between Classic and Modern. It looks timeless without looking too conservative.

Unless you're from England, I'd speculate that your wife will see a difference to the Oxfords her father wears.

On the other hand, the Regentry from Loding is for too modern for me. If I understand you correctly, this was your first choice. Thus I think, you will be more happy with the Nevisa.

Loding was quite popular in the french shoe community, I was told, although now Markowski seems to be their first choice for small-budget shoes. Since they are quite critical about quality, Loading offers good value for the money, I'd say.

tl;dr Get the Nevisa.

Psmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful reply. As my father-in-law wears Clarks, I'd be very disappointed if a considerable difference was not apparent. I like a modern design, but for the job that this shoe is intended for, I decided in the end for the Knightsbridge. I'll save Loding for occasions where a little more joie d'esprit seems indicated.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.