• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Overcoats: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the black overcoats is sooo common
Should all black overcoats be cast into a pit of brimstone and hellfire
devil.gif

Or can a black overcoat be a suitable overcoat still?
Here's a black overcoat that looks intriguing:

2e4wyee.png

CA: (although it appears greyish to me) It's a lighten black
4dxlfo9.jpg

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a black cashmere overcoat (pre SF) that I like a lot. When it comes to cashmere the depth of color looks good in black. However, it is very formal looking and when I wear my black fedora with it I look like a hasidic guy. Knowing what I know now I would have gone with a different color.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's not your only overcoat, why not?

Of course, it sure wouldn't work with a Charcoal, or Navy suit IMO, but it could work with a lighter gray color, tan, olive, and others.

I guess it's sort of analogous to the "Black Suit"!!!! Not very popular around here. And ianappropriate at times, but it has it's place!

As usual, I will defer to the sartorial experts. What say you?

BTW: The picture of the Black overcoat you've posted, looks good. Who's the maker?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I have a black cashmere overcoat (pre SF) that I like a lot. When it comes to cashmere the depth of color looks good in black. However, it is very formal looking and when I wear my black fedora with it I look like a hasidic guy. Knowing what I know now I would have gone with a different color.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Matisyahu.JPG

wink.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh

Of course, it sure wouldn't work with a Charcoal suit

I have a Black cashmere overcoat that I'll wear with a charcoal flannel suit(It's also worn with a Black cashmere DJ). And, I have a charcoal cashmere overcoat that I'll wear with a Black flannel suit. I love my Black flannel suit.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Overcoats, ties, shoes, etc. are all fine being black.

MrRogers

Reaction score
The first pic is amazing; the most perfect overcoat hands down. I think it is Attolini correct? I shudder to think of the price tag.

MrR

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
The first pic is amazing; the most perfect overcoat hands down. I think it is Attolini correct? I shudder to think of the price tag.

MrR

Yes, it's an Attolini. And it is north of 5k retail for sure.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It`s an alpaca collar.

I don`t think there should be any rule against black overcoats, and they can look very good in certain situations. The only problem with the color is that it only looks good in certain situations.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not alpaca. It's astrakhan or persian lamb as Labelking pointed out.

Here is a black Kiton cashmere double breasted with detachable fox fur collar.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
It's not alpaca. It's astrakhan or persian lamb as Labelking pointed out.
I think you`re right...astrakhan. Anyway, it starts with an A, is detachable and adds $1 or $2K (I forgot exactly) to the price.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads