• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black or Tan – Crockett and Jones Onslow

inter71

Reaction score
I am a newbie to English shoes with about a year experience reading SF.

I am planning on purchasing my second pair of dainite sole shoes but have color dilemma. To make the long story short, I have Ashdown (brown) and now want Onslow. The key question is which color should I choose, black or tan. I will wear Onslow almost exclusively with:

1.\t Advantage Chinos (Brooks Brothers) colors: black, navy, and dark taupe.
2.\tAlabama jeans (Hugo Boss) colors: black, blue, and navy.

My question is whether or not it is completely fine to wear tan shoes with black pants. I do not recall I have ever seen this combination, or I did not pay enough attention...

I would also like to know whether tan color on Onslow is closer to light tan or dark tan.

Any input highly appreciated.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan + Black = Horrible

Tan + Any other colour you have mentioned = Acceptible/good

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Onslow looks more medium brown than tan on the website. Regardless it is easy to darken a brown shoe gradually. Just use slightly darker cream polish.

You are in a bind because you have pants in some of the worst possible colors. Plus you are wearing black jeans.

The brown Onslow is far better suited for casual wear than the black scotch country grain, but if you are devoted to navy and black chinos you would be better off with the black.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The only time you should be mixing black and tan is in a pint glass.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inter71
I do not recall I have ever seen this combination

Your memory served you well. You haven't seen it for a very good reason.

inter71

Reaction score
Hello Blackhood,

That's what I thought: Tan + Black = Horrible

Thanks for clarifying my dilemma.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The only time you should be mixing black and tan is in a pint glass.

I may sig this as a monument to its deep and resonating truth.

inter71

Reaction score
Hello Dewey,

Thanks a lot for stating your point of view. I will most likely follow your suggestion and purchase black Onslow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads