• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black or brown as the "go-to" shoe choice?

SVS

Reaction score
I've been a "black shoes with everything except brown slacks" kind of guy all my life. Should I be a "brown shoes with everything except black slacks" kind of guy?

A lot of very smart posters seem to be rocking mostly browns for non-formal attire. Does brown really look that good with navy and gray? I'd love to expand my shoes wearing range. What do I need to know to pull off more browns (light chili, chocolate suede, etc)?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I've been wearing brown with almost everything these days. Brown shoes and navy work perfectly, ditto with charcoal. Lighter grays I'd stick with black.

Read this too: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=58214

Couldn't agree more. The different tones of brown you can wear looks great as opposed to old fashion standard black.

I suggest black for funerals, weddings (half of the time) and black tie events. Other than that, brown gets the nod

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brown. brown. brown.

But this discussion is the eternal battle in this forum. Wait until the "black" troops arrive...

Also, give burgundy a look... It works nicely with brown-ish suits and gray

Toorman

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a nice pair of black shoes but brown will allow you to stand out in the crowd and appear more fashionable. Plus it just looks better.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Increasingly it's brown for me, but unlike a lot of folks here, I think black has it's place. If you want more flexibility, I would go with a darker brown or give a nice dark ox-blood a shot.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have more black shoes which work well with most of my work attire. I do wear browns and my burgundy once or twice a week at work but for casual wear I never use black (unless it's at night and matches my clothing more appropriately).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have shifted to an all black shoe wardrobe. I think that brown shoes look better, but they aren't for me, and I like the simplicity of having one color in the wardrobe

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown is for farmers.
Black is for waiters.
You be the judge.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Brown is for farmers.
Black is for waiters.
You be the judge.

Then slap a pair of overalls on me and call me a farmer!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Brown is for farmer. Black is for waiter. You be the judge.
FTFY. Let's be true to the spirit of ernest. Oh, and I wear brown shoes approximately 75% of the time, cordovan 20% and black 5%. I'm beginning to like cordovan a lot, perhaps because it's unique where I live.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm making a move to burgundy/ oxblood. Seems to go with almost all the typical suit colors, and can pick up a nice patina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics