• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black (luxury) t-shirt advice.

adrianvo

Reaction score
As someone who only wears t-shirts for the purpose of protection my shirts from stains, how complicated is this really?

First of all I would never pay for a brand, but the quality and craft. It's common knowledge that Armani has taken a nose-dive in terms of quality since their success in the 80s and never recovered.

I will argue that: NO COTTON T-SHIRT IS WORTH ABOVE $200 (in terms of value for money). (unless signed by a famous person, so you can sell it later as an investment).

As mentioned further up, Orlebar Brown is legit.

Panama

Reaction score
What would it be?
Sunspel, John Smedley, Novila etc. There are lot's of established firms that produce premium products based on quality and not a designer name.

If they are under shirts, the companies I have listed in the recent underwear thread are ideal.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
Sunspel, John Smedley, Novila etc. There are lot's of established firms that produce premium products based on quality and not a designer name.

If they are under shirts, the companies I have listed in the recent underwear thread are ideal.
I love Sunspel. I’m a fat pig, so I’ve noticed they fit smaller than non European brands, but the quality is top notch.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing about these thin t-shirts is that they're hard to wash. Fabric can get distorted in the washing machine, so you have to do a gentle hand wash. I have the Orlebar Brown shirt. Felt good the first and second time I wore it. Then just became too much of a hassle to press and clean correctly.

Phongmoua

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum and i have being looking around but i could not find a similar thread ...
So here we go..
I want to buy some amazing black t-shirts with the best fabrics that makes a black t-shirt transform into something extremely manly mixed with expensive look and even dressy... i know which are the best..
Im in love with Giorgio Armani black T-shirts and even some polo ones... even Mr. GIORGIO wears the t-shirts and they look amazing...the problem is that i dont want to invest that amount of money $$$ for a t shirt that i know part of that big price tag has to do with the brand name.. designer.
I want the same look and quality( if possible) and i dont care about the brand name. Is that possible? Please help

I would look into brands such as Sunspel and their sea island cotton shirts.

Panama

Reaction score
I have just ordered a load of tees from Basicly. They haven't arrived yet, but they seem good. Grana were doing Sunspel copies at £35.00 instead of the Sunspel price of £70.00 but they appear to be low in stock. Grana and Sunspel are both Pima cotton.

Basicly have just temporarily closed their online store. I hope I get my tees...

Basicly are £15.00

20210409_230033.png

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Paul James were doing a tee from English spun cotton, which was knitted and sewn in England too, but now only on clearance. Hopefully they bring it back.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
What’s best brand of luxury t-shirt for fat asses men? Ralph Lauren xxl fits me well. What else?

Panama

Reaction score
What’s best brand of luxury t-shirt for fat asses men? Ralph Lauren xxl fits me well. What else?
I wouldn't consider RL luxury. But most brands will go to very large sizes, just check out the websites...

Sunspel XXXL
Derek Rose XXXL
Orlebar Brown XXXL
Vilebrequin 5XL

Rasputin13

Reaction score
What’s best brand of luxury t-shirt for fat asses men? Ralph Lauren xxl fits me well. What wlse
I wouldn't consider RL luxury. But most brands will go to very large sizes, just check out the websites...

Sunspel XXXL
Derek Rose XXXL
Orlebar Brown XXXL
Vilebrequin 5XL
i didn’t mean RL in terms of luxury, just as a reference to a brand I own that does fit me.

Panama

Reaction score
I might try the transparent and sustainable brands Asket and Sanvt.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proper Cloth sells Japanese fabric t-shirts for €70. (I’m in Europe so that’s the price I see on the website.) I have no idea if they suit you but at least with PC you’re not paying for a fashion brand and their billboards in Times Square.

jonny2box

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject of T-shirts .. and premium higher end look.
Can anyone take a guess at where to get something similar to this ? I see a hint of a breast pocket which I'm not interested in... but the steel blue cotton shirt seems to be a pretty good casual wardrobe staple.

Attachments

• IMG_7942.jpg
    IMG_7942.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 148

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads