• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black loafers - what do you wear them with?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much just Dark Grays, Navy, Olive, and Black Chinos

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Well it seems that most people on this forum think
that loafers, regardless of design, are not appropriate
for suits. I actually have a few black loafers, most notably,
Weston 414's that I have paired nicely with a suit. I think
it really depends on how the loafer is structured. IMHO
smile.gif

I am sure that I will get mocked for saying I wear loafers with
suits, but I don't care cus I like the look
smile.gif

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the loafers, depends on the suit (a POW black/white glen plaid looks fine, IMHO, with black BB tassels, as much as you lot might scrunch up your noses in disgust).

But that's just me - I don't always agree with the local standards around here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the shoes in the OP (too elongated and pointy), but I like the look of black JM Weston 180/Signature loafers with both jeans, flannel trousers, and suits. Yeah yeah, no loafers with suits. Whatever.

KMJ8858

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I really the look of sleek black loafers like this Barker Mahler:

Mahler_mahogany-calf.jpg
Enough that I'm tempted to buy them. But I'm not sure what outfits I'd actually wear them with. I wear lace-ups with suits, and already have a range of loafers to wear with any season's casual outfits (pale brown venetians, chocolate horsebits and navy drivers, all in suede; tan pennies and dark brown tassels, both in calf). I already have a pair of black loafers too, but they're not as pretty as these, don't fit well, and have an annoying nick on the toes so I'm never sure if my disinclination to wear them stems from lack of an inspiring outfit or dislike of that particular pair.

What clothes niche do you wear sleek black loafers with? Let's see if you can persuade me to spend money.
tongue.gif

Off the top of my head, the only outfit I can think of would be one with grey odd trousers, and if that's it, there's almost always a different shoe I would prefer to wear instead. Any other ideas?

This style of loafer dresses up a pair of dark jeans, blazer, french cuff shirt very nicely. Great evening outfit for a casual club outing, dinner, etc. Also, great match with flat-front dress slacks in a solid gray, black, olive-brown tone. Use your imagination. A great shoe works allot of different ways and there is nothing like a great loafer for casual style with flare.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DeepCleaning1.JPG

Mike

gwolf

Reaction score
wear them with you most formal blazer ensemble

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of black loafers, how's your dad?

Vicar

Reaction score
I find them very versatile, from suits to casuals. Just my two pennies worth.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pair and realized I need white cotton pants and grey/navy summer sportcoat to do anything I like with them :laugh:

I think something like below could be pretty cool for casual summer wear, other than that they seem quite difficult to me

Attachments

• main-qimg-e512197473bbe1642d6a64f99d907543.jpg
    main-qimg-e512197473bbe1642d6a64f99d907543.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 123
  • blazer-crew-neck-t-shirt-skinny-jeans-large-41769.jpg
    blazer-crew-neck-t-shirt-skinny-jeans-large-41769.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 230

emptym

Reaction score
Off-white looks good too imo:
IMG_5781.jpeg

Those are BB unlined shell loafers, old Perry Ellis corduroys, Breanish+Chan herringbone SC, and Luxire tattersall.
You might try them w/ jeans, gray pants, or khakis, a white (or white ground) shirt, and maybe a gray sweater or navy jacket.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread to have revived as I’m looking for a pair of black horsebit loafers as my only pair of black shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads