1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black Leather Strap Watch Recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marmot8, Mar 19, 2013.

1. marmot8

marmot8 Well-Known Member

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I believe that's a little like saying you're looking to buy a blue car. Watches aren't defined by the color of the strap they come with.

Do you want a round face, square face, tank watch, automata tic, no complications, lots of complications...?

3. marmot8

Fair enough. Looking for a classic looking watch, round face, white face, minimal features needed. Preferably thin. not sure my limit on size in terms of crown size. Something similar in appearance to the Tissot I suggested, but wondering what else SF might recommend. Thanks!

PS. I want the watch to wear with dark suits and slacks, hence my desire for a black leather strap. I prefer leather to metal bracelets.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

5. marmot8

Thanks- can anyone speak to the quality of a Tissot versus others watches that can be had in that price range (perhaps vs. a Hamilton, for e.g.)?

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Hamilton as a brand ranks higher than Tissot, though for specific models it may arguably be a push. From Tissot, I much prefer the Visodate with it's classic '50's style to the model you had posted.

Find a watch you like first and worry about the strap after. Unless the watch has some freakish lug design, you'll be able to swap the strap out for little cost. Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all to have two nice straps that can give the watch slightly different looks, maximizing the versatility.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  7. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Well-Known Member

The Tissot you linked is a fairly common look, based on the styling of marine chronometer's, search for 'Marine' models. My favourite in that style would probably be the Stowa Marine but a lot of watchmakers make similar models.

You might need to do some searching to find one in your price range but here's some starting points.

http://www.archimede-watches.com/ar...8/deckwatch-a-handwound-marine-navy-6498.html

http://www.tourbywatches.com/shop/p...e7cBnVxJ7oTAKUT7ZZjb5VOrnKg1UOxhv&shop_param=

https://shop.laco.de/de/Marineuhren.html

http://www.pjswatches.com/category.php?id_category=8

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/MARINE-CHRONOMETER-II-roman,284.html

8. Busa

Busa Senior member

Buy this Tissot, $170 and I think almost as classic as a Patek Phillipe Calatrava nailhead that goes $20k. I own and wear it, and get many compliments- whether in jeans or $1000 Burberry or Brooks Brothers suit...

[​IMG]

9. marmot8

Looking to pull the trigger soon. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

10. cruxisfalcon

cruxisfalcon Well-Known Member

11. marmot8

Wow, this is exactly the look I'm after. Anyone have any experience with this brand? It looks similar to the first mentioned Tissot, in which case I'd like go with the Tissot because I know the brand. Thoughts? Thanks all!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Christopher Ward gets good reviews, it is a bit of a cult brand with watch enthusiasts. Technically it is probably equal to the Tissot.

If it were me I would go with Tissot as it is a nice "gateway" watch to get you hooked into the Swatch family. Then we get you into it's bigger brother Longines, then to head of the family with GO, Omega, Breguet etc.

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  14. marmot8

Kind of what I was thinking...