Black leather coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

I'm looking for a black leather coat. Â If anyone has any suggestions as to where to find one, I'd appreciate it a lot. Â Â I've got the following parameters: No more than $1500 Smooth , matte outer finish. Interior either shearling or wool lined. Below the waist to mid thigh Length. Styling classic, somewht casual, and not too slick (don't want the biker look or the Matrix look.) Â I've found coats that I like at Connolly and Bergdorf, but both were a bit pricey. Â Bluefly seems to have lots of shiny black sport-coat cut jackets, but not what I'm really looking for. Â A coat such as this one (from Territory Ahead) in black rather than brown would be ideal. Â [​IMG] Thanks in advance.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There is an Andrew Marc Black shearling jacket on-line at Saks.com going for ~$1300 that might suit your bill.  Coincidentally, the same jacket is selling for $200 more at Neimans.  I've noticed that a lot of pieces are differently priced between those two stores.  Wierd.

Did you try Macy's or Bloomingdales?  This year, the trend is towards biker, and to a much lesser extent, blazer styles; and the more directional shops are inundated with them.  More conservative shops and second tier department stores (Macys, Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, for example) will have a lot more of what you are looking for, and at more reasonable pricepoints.

You might also try an honest-to-goodness western shop, especially if you want a sturdy jacket with wool lining.

I know a wierd, hippy type of guy who could also do the job for probably $400-$500 - I've seen some of his jackets and pants, and they are pretty nice in a outdoorsy kind of way. And you'd even get to choose your own skin. I saw him handstitching some elk skin pants, and the leather felt pretty amazing.