Black Lapel MTM Suit - Fit Check and Critique

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dan2738, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dan2738

Dan2738 New Member

Hey guys.

Got my Black Lapel Navy Suit today, 3.5 weeks after ordering. This is a MTM site like Indochino, except Black Lapel's are half canvassed and the fabric may be of slightly higher quality. This is a traditional navy suit for financial office environment. I ordered the tailored cut (between slim and traditional). I have 30 days to get $75 worth of alterations which will be covered by Black Lapel. The company has been nothing but fantastic so far. I got my original measurements by measuring myself three separate times, with the help of a tailor and two friends. Please ignore tie, shirt, belt, and rumpling/creases. Tie is okay, shirt is too big in most measurements, and belt is bad. Suit appears rumpled/creased because it just came out of the box.

I have a great tailor to go to and while I think that largely the fit of this is nearly perfect, I suspect a few minor alterations could be made to make it perfect. Here are a few of my own critiques:
    1. Sleeves. I can't tell whether my shirt sleeves should be longer, or if the suit sleeves should be shorter. Either way, I know that a bit of the shirt sleeve should be showing, and it is not at all.
    2. I wanted the pants to have a single, clean break. Not sure whether they are perfect or should be made just a bit shorter.
    3. The shoulders feel great, but the chest could be made a little more form fitting

Please give more advice, and thanks in advance. Here are way too many pictures.

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/E4OVE

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

(almost escaped a double-post today)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The suit sleeves are too long. The upper back needs some work. The collar probably should be tweaked. In terms of styling, a less structured shoulder would have been better, but too late now. All told, it's better than the usual MTM outcome posted on Style Forum.