• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Lace-Up boots...

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crooow
I'm using this post as a grail right now. I have the Black Cherry GTs, and love how they look, but they are absolutely killing my ankles right now. I know that they will soften up with wear; I just wish I'd already gotten to that point.

It helps to wear 2 pairs of socks or 1 pair of heavy wool socks and lace them up as tight as possible.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^^ took me about 2 weeks, wearing 3-4x week. Bleeding of the ankles part of the routine (a bandaid helped soften the scraping)

I'm wearing mine right now and they're about as slipper comfortable as a pair of boots can be

Calden

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of some broken in Red Wing Gentlemen Travelers? I was thinking about picking up a pair, but I've heard the leather they use, even though it's from Horween and top of the line, creases very strangely and makes the boot look weird. I have no idea if this is true though, since I haven't seen any pics.

Crooow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
It helps to wear 2 pairs of socks or 1 pair of heavy wool socks and lace them up as tight as possible.

Well now they really hurt.
confused.gif
But that does make sense; I am wearing heavy socks, but was wearing them loosely (the boots, that is). Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^^ took me about 2 weeks, wearing 3-4x week. Bleeding of the ankles part of the routine (a bandaid helped soften the scraping)

I'm wearing mine right now and they're about as slipper comfortable as a pair of boots can be

Heh, I think it was the picture of you wearing your's that inspired me to buy them in the first place.
smile.gif

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah like GS says you will bleed, at least a little. About the laces I think they are cool, they must be waxed right? Also check out this pic I found on Sufu 'shoes that look better with age' thread:
marilyn_selvedge.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bleeding of the ankles part of the routine (a bandaid helped soften the scraping)
They might look awesome, but shoes should never make your feet bleed.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Two pairs of cordovan boots on ebay right now: 4065's 11.5D, being sold by a SF member: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=003 Plaza last captoes 11.5D, probably from Shoe Mart originally: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005 I would have already purchased the second pair if they were a 12D.
Full disclosure I'm selling the first pair. They are size 11.5 E (wide) not D (medium/regular). Also, after reading the second listing I feel one of us has measured the soles of our boots incorrectly. I'm going to double-check my measurements

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
They might look awesome, but shoes should never make your feet bleed.

"bleed" might be a bit exaggerated, not like it was gushing blood. more like the way a scrape will ooze some blood. regardless, it wasnt that big of a deal and the result was worth any discomfort.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Also, after reading the second listing I feel one of us has measured the soles of our boots incorrectly. I'm going to double-check my measurements
Could be, though my shoes on the plaza last (12D) are actually slightly smaller on the outsole length than my shoes on the Grant and Barrie lasts (11.5D).

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just double-checked my measurements. I measure the soles to be a hair OVER 13 inches long (longest point) and a hair UNDER 4 5/8 inches wide (widest point). Go figure.

Trying to make all the necessary revisions before someone complains.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be, though my shoes on the plaza last (12D) are actually slightly smaller on the outsole length than my shoes on the Grant and Barrie lasts (11.5D).
Good point. I forgot mine are on the Grant last (not Plaza as I originally thought).

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"bleed" might be a bit exaggerated, not like it was gushing blood. more like the way a scrape will ooze some blood. regardless, it wasnt that big of a deal and the result was worth any discomfort.

Also they are not shoes but boots. I had developed a sore around my ankle right where the piping surrounds the top of the boot. (and only on my right foot not the left) This is the only part that needs to be 'broken in' I believe.

modal

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads